No announcement yet.

Americans voted for Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from—
    (C) the threat of imminent death;

To say nothing of the people we prosecuted for war crimes in the past for doing the exact same thing...
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I'm not sure waterboarding really counts as a "threat of imminent death". I think you actually have to...

1. Threaten the prisoner with imminent death.

2. Bring the prisoner to the point of imminent death.

Waterboarding involves neither, as far as I know. It just sets off a instinctual response that causes the prisoner to panic. There's no need to threaten the prisoner with death while waterboarding (it's equally unpleasant even if you know you'll be safe afterward) and the prisoner shouldn't be in danger of death if it's done properly.

The "severe mental suffering" is where I think waterboarding might cross the line, but how far can you go before the line is crossed? It's not clear.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• What exactly do you think sets off the instinctual panic?
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

• Dude.

The prisoner thinks he is going to drown. That is a threat of imminent death.

The ****, dude?

x-post

Comment

• The prisoner thinks he is going to drown. That is a threat of imminent death.

It's not nearly as clear-cut as you seem to think. "Threat of imminent death" is meant to prevent things like putting a gun to a prisoner's head and telling him to talk or you'll pull the trigger. It's focused on the behavior of the interrogators, not the physical response of the prisoner, hence the use of the word "threat".

It's also not clear that the prisoner "thinks" he's going to drown. It seems like you can know full well that you're going to be safe, but the physical reaction to the waterboarding sets off an unconscious reaction anyway. I don't really want to get into some philosophical bull**** about whether its the conscious or unconscious brain that really matters in this case, but feel free...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• People can die from being water boarded, so fear of death isn't unreasonable.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Fear of death != threat of death.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Time for a missed talking point: Is waterboarding/torture a superior method at garnering good intel than more traditional methods?
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                    Fear of death != threat of death.
                    fear of death comes from a threat of death

stop being obtuse
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO View Post
                      Anyone who thinks actionable intel can not be obtained from torture needs to be tortured until they give up their ATM pin code... The left saying force (torture is force) is not effective in compelling testimony is STUPID.
                      Intel? Sure. Actionable? Maybe... I'm sure if I was tortured I'd tell you what you want to hear.

It's nothing new. Everytime someone trots out the "good intel" line, I'm reminded of a quote:
                      Later, in an anti-Inquisition work, [the Jesuit Friedrich von Spee] declared: "Often I have thought that the only reason why we are not all wizards is due to the fact that we have not all been tortured. And there is truth in what an inquisitor dared to boast, that if he could reach the Pope, he would make him confess that he was a wizard."
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Theben View Post
                        Time for a missed talking point: Is waterboarding/torture a superior method at garnering good intel than more traditional methods?
                        Who cares?

It's ****ing torture!

Comment

• Drake, you know I love you, you crazy bastard, but if we can't even agree on the fact that waterboarding obviously fits the US and International Red Cross definitions of torture, there is no ****ing point to this.

It's like you're arguing the sky is orange with a purple plaid pattern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                            the UN Convention on Torture

I do agree with this definition, though, for the most part...

torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession...

It's not clear that waterboarding is torture under this definition. It really depends on what you consider "mental suffering" and how severe it has to be before it crosses the torture threshold. I'm inclined to think that a practice that journalists will willingly subject themselves to for a story isn't torture on its face, but it could become so if done enough.

It's ****ing torture man. It may not be disfiguring. But it's torture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theben View Post
                              Intel? Sure. Actionable? Maybe... I'm sure if I was tortured I'd tell you what you want to hear.

It's nothing new. Everytime someone trots out the "good intel" line, I'm reminded of a quote:
                              Later, in an anti-Inquisition work, [the Jesuit Friedrich von Spee] declared: "Often I have thought that the only reason why we are not all wizards is due to the fact that we have not all been tortured. And there is truth in what an inquisitor dared to boast, that if he could reach the Pope, he would make him confess that he was a wizard."
                              Yer stoopid.

Comment

• Tone it down folks...
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X