Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    He wanted a line-item veto.

Congress passes budgets, not the president.
    Oh, if only he could have ignored the constitution as thoroughly in this regard as he did in every other...
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Oh, and it looks like BK was wrong anyway:

KPMG Canada provides professional services for businesses across diverse industries.

That has the Federal Income Tax rate for the highest tax bracket as 29% for 2009. Would you agree that the average person making $200,000+ a year in the U.S. in 1945 paid more than 29% in Federal income taxes?
      I quoted the lowest Fed + Provincial rate, about 40 percent. (29+10).

That is a more accurate reflection of our total tax burden for the highest bracket.

Interestingly, Quebec is up to 53 percent. If you earn 75k in Quebec, you have to pay 50 percent taxes.

I don't think the US numbers are anywhere close for that bracket.

Edit:

25 percent Federal Tax, +10 in California, unsurprisingly.

So max 35 percent in the US compared with max of 50 percent here in Canada!
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; January 22, 2009, 21:18.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• After your blatant lying re: Obama and Ayers a few months back, you have absolutely no grounds to lob criticisms in this regard against anyone.

Calling me a liar isn't going to make your hackery any more palatable to the masses, BG.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
          So tell me again why you are such a fan of George W. Bush.
          Originally posted by Ming View Post
          He shoots... HE SCORES!

Name me a president that absolutely doesn't spend.
          Clinton? Don't even go there. Carter? A good after the presidency president, but hardly a good president. Would anyone care to offer a name?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
            After your blatant lying re: Obama and Ayers a few months back, you have absolutely no grounds to lob criticisms in this regard against anyone.

Calling me a liar isn't going to make your hackery any more palatable to the masses, BG.
            I'm in the Hall of Fame. You're not. The masses, for whatever its worth, clearly favor me.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I've only been posting on Poly for ~7 months, so it's hardly surprising that I'm not in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

I've only been posting on Poly for ~7 months, so it's hardly surprising that I'm not in the Hall of Fame.
                Well you'd better start getting at least some votes soon.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Why? Only a loser would care about being on some internet forum Hall of Fame.

Comment

Why? Only a loser would care about being on some internet forum Hall of Fame.
                    True, which is why I said "for whatever its worth." I'm still amused I got in without having contributed a single jot to anything Civilization-related whatsoever.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                      True, which is why I said "for whatever its worth." I'm still amused I got in without having contributed a single jot to anything Civilization-related whatsoever.
                      Oh yeah, I was a member for over a year before I even knew it. And I personally oppose the whole concept.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• It's better then making it free, but the issue is that having it partially subsidized will increase the costs.
                        On the other hand, right now you have uninsured people who can't go to the doctor for a checkup who show up in the ER and then get treated on the public's dime anyway (at the ER ain't cheap) for something that could've been dealt with earlier for far less dinero. I think there is an opportunity to save money by providing a basic level of care for all via the government (I'm fine with private insurance in excess of the gummint plan). I'm thinking not just in terms of the money on those ER visits, but also lost productivity due to illness and whatnot that can be prevented by regular checkups.

I don't understand why we didn't cover that in our business education classes, or home economics.
                        See, in my public HS, there was no home economics. The course hadn't existed in 5-10 years by the time I got there. So there was absolutely zero instruction on such things.

Now you are talking. Investment is one thing. I don't have a problem with nutrition volunteers going into the community and educating them on proper diets and helping them make meal plans.
                        I'd just be willing to spend money on it, rather than relying on charity.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                        X