X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• science says: abstinence is not an option, teen sex inevitable

Virginity Pledges Fail to Trump Teen Lust in Look at Older Data

By Nicole Ostrow and Tom Randall

Dec. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Teenagers who pledged to avoid sex until marriage were as likely to have intercourse as other U.S. adolescents, according to a survey of conduct mostly in 1990s.

Teens who took the pledge also were less likely to use birth control pills or condoms than those making no promise, according to the research in the January issue of Pediatrics. The results show that teens need information on safe sex and pregnancy prevention even if they vow to refrain, a study author said.

The pledges, made orally or in writing, are viewed by advocates as buttressing federally funded education programs that say avoiding pre-marital sex rather than using protection will curb pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. President George W. Bush’s administration more than doubled the budget for abstinence-only education programs since 1999 to $204 million this fiscal year. More than a dozen states have rejected federal money rather than limit what is taught.

“The results suggest that the virginity pledge does not change sexual behavior,” wrote author Janet Rosenbaum, a postdoctoral fellow in the department of population, family and reproductive health at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. “Clinicians should provide birth control information to all adolescents, especially abstinence-only sex education participants.”

Today’s study relied on surveys of students in 1996, when Congress authorized increased funding for abstinence-only education as part of an overhaul of welfare, and 2001. A Congressionally authorized report in 2007 on the program in that bill, Title V, also found students were no more likely to abstain. That program gets about $50 million a year. Research published in June found that virginity pledges decreased sexual activity in students ages 12 to 17.

Obama and Abstinence

President-elect Barack Obama said while campaigning in April he has “consistently” talked about the need to take a comprehensive approach “where we focus on abstinence, where we are teaching the sacredness of sexuality to our children,” and “contraception has to be part of that education process.”

Obama does plan to reverse a policy that linked assistance for combating AIDS in poor parts of the world to requirements that health workers emphasize monogamy and abstinence from sex over condom use, said Susan F. Wood, co-chairman of Obama’s advisory committee for women’s health, in November.

Today’s study included 289 middle-school and high-school students who said, in a 1996 U.S. survey of adolescent behavior, that they had taken a virginity pledge. They were matched with 645 other teens with similar attitudes toward 100 items, including religion and sex. After five years, the groups were compared on self-reported sexual behavior, test results for sexually transmitted diseases and the use of birth control.

Oath Denied

The researchers found that 82 percent of those who had taken the oath denied five years later having done so. Fifty-three percent of the teens in the pledge group said they had engaged in premarital sex compared with 57 percent of those who hadn’t taken the pledge. Forty-six percent of those who had pledged abstinence reported using birth control most of the time, compared with 52 percent of those who didn’t pledge.

The average age of sexual initiation for both groups was 21, which is higher than the average age of 17 for U.S. teenagers reported by the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction at Indiana University in Bloomington.

A June report by Rand Corp. in Santa Monica, California, that found virginity pledges decreased sexual activity in students ages 12 to 17. That study interviewed students three times over three years and found 42 percent who didn’t make virginity pledges started intercourse during the period compared with 34 percent who made the pledges.

Broader Population

The findings in Pediatrics don’t reflect the behavior of the broader teenage population, said Valerie Huber, executive director of the National Abstinence Education Association, a Washington-based supporter of abstinence programs.

“We do not think a student taking a pledge is enough when they’re living in a sex-saturated culture,” she said in a Dec. 23 telephone interview. “They need reinforcement and encouragement in their pursuit to make healthy decisions.”

Teen sex has increased since 2001, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an Atlanta-based agency, said in June. Forty-eight percent of teens said they had sex last year compared with 46 percent in 2001, the agency said. Condom use declined slightly, to 62 percent in 2007 from 63 percent in 2003, the survey of high school students found.

Teenage pregnancies rose in 2006 for the first time in 15 years, according to a July report compiled by 22 U.S. agencies. The birth rate in 2006 increased to 22 births per 1,000 girls ages 15 to 17 from 21 births per 1,000 in 2005.

Safe Sex Programs Challenged

Abstinence programs, including virginity pledges, provide an alternative to safe-sex programs taught in schools that haven’t proven effective, said Denny Pattyn, founder of the Silver Ring Thing, an evangelical-Christian program based in Moon Township, Pennsylvania.

More than 100,000 people worldwide have been part of the Silver Ring Thing, he said. Teenagers who attend a live program and make a pledge to abstain from sex until marriage are given a silver ring as a symbol of their oath. The organization provides regular follow-up e-mails and helps parents support their children.

“Why not have an alternative message for kids who want to wait?” Pattyn said in a Dec. 23 telephone interview. “Instead of saying, ‘Turn it off,’ say: ‘Make it better, help it work, help these kids be abstinent.’”

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

This is the important bit

Teens who took the pledge also were less likely to use birth control pills or condoms than those making no promise, according to the research in the January issue of Pediatrics. The results show that teens need information on safe sex and pregnancy prevention even if they vow to refrain, a study author said.
    There's nothing the matter with abstinence programs per ce, but pretending that teens on such programs will not have sex is absurd.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

This is the important bit

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

teen sex inevitable

nah..too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by the civilized world
          DUH.
          As if someone expected a different outcome.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

The issue is that nowadays most people don't get married till their late twenties or even thirties.

Staying virgin till marriage was easy when people married young, like 15 years old.

The issue isn't staying virgin till marriage, the issue is when you get married.

Nowadays it is much more difficult.
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

As if someone expected a different outcome.
              I think the only ones who actually believed this abstinence nonsense were the Christian Conservatives pushing it. Then again maybe they didn't even believe this crap either and were just pushing it as a culture war issue to drum up votes.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Obviously you die if you don't have sex until you are 20.

The existance of Poly is evidence of this.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

“We do not think a student taking a pledge is enough when they’re living in a sex-saturated culture,” she said in a Dec. 23 telephone interview. “They need reinforcement and encouragement in their pursuit to make healthy decisions.
                  Why don't we actually read what's said instead of blithely ignoring it.

As for Christians not believing in it, I believed in it even before I became a Christian. I looked around and saw that my friends who were sleeping around didn't seem very happy...
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ha! Chaperones are the answer.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

All this answers to is the seriousness that the kids take the pledge.

Nothing to see here.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

...Fifty-three percent of the teens in the pledge group said they had engaged in premarital sex compared with 57 percent of those who hadn’t taken the pledge.
                        These two sentences disprove the "teen sex inevitable" claim in the title of this thread.

Comment

Lemmings? Jump off a cliff into the sea. It's inevitable.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            “We do not think a student taking a pledge is enough when they’re living in a sex-saturated culture,” she said in a Dec. 23 telephone interview. “They need reinforcement and encouragement in their pursuit to make healthy decisions.”

i really dont see your point. "reinforcement and encouragement" basically refers to more brainwashing rather than information, safe sex education, etc....
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

As for Christians not believing in it, I believed in it even before I became a Christian. I looked around and saw that my friends who were sleeping around didn't seem very happy...
                              Why are you automatically and presumptively correlating unhappiness with teen pre-marital sex?
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X