Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defining Sexuality: Why is it necessary to gauge acceptability levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree with celebrating it, nor have I said so. All I am saying is that they get much worse punishment for their sin than do other of the deadly 7, of which sodomy is not one. Adultery is not celebrate (at least not publicly) but it is forgiven and forgotten quite quickly, even without repentance, in public (not religious) circles. Gluttony is celebrate by buffets and the like, and no one looks at a fat guy and says "oh, you can't adopt a child"... No one looks at a Greedy rich dude and tell him he can't live in this neighborhood without repercussions.

The point, isn't the sin. The point is that everyone who is judging is guilty of worse in the eyes of the lord. And, it is those guilty who feel justified in judging.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Persecute them? I don't see Christians nailing gay people on a tree.
      You're right...it was a fencepost and they used rope, not nails. But they did beat the **** out of him and left him to die.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

They did drag that one dude down a gravel road tied to a truck

Or that one guy who had his throat slit because he was found out

Or any one of the other many stories I don't care to remember
        Monkey!!!

Comment

It's necessary to gauge acceptability levels so you can feel good about yourself.

For instance--say I'm a convert to a Christian sect, such as Catholicism. I got to that point because of some ****ty things that happened in my life, and some good things. I really only remember the bad things, and the religion makes me feel better. But that's just a temporary feeling; ephemeral, and maybe I want to continue that feeling for more than the hour or so I'm at Mass. So I find some group to pick on, and by demeaning them, I feel better about myself.

It's why any sort of prejudicial bias has lasted so long--black "urban" culture is unacceptable because of such and such, which makes white suburban culture not feeling like the waking death that it is. Japanese freakishness allows Americans to not feel so threatened; flamboyant ******ry makes straight-laced breeders feel okay with being themselves.

It's really just a form of casting someone as the Other, and thus not Equal.
          B♭3

Comment

Do they? I don't see adultery pride parades down the streets of town.
            You don't see gay pride parades in Saudi Arabia or Iran.

In the case of adultery, You cheat someone else, You break your promess to someone You ought to love. In the case of gayness, You're just being yourself and not doing harm to anyone. And people ARE often proud of their adultery and (at least men) boast with the number of their partners, but want to keep it secret after marriage, not to destroy it.

Anyway, I am tolerant towards any sexuality or fetish, from skat to necrophilia, and I think nothing should be outward illegal or condemned but paedophilia, but even in this case, if the people in question are not chasing kids trying to rape them and try to supress their feelings, I think they should be treaten with love and understanding.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

The truck dragging was a racial thing, not gay. It was rednecks dragging a black guy.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                They did drag that one dude down a gravel road tied to a truck

Or that one guy who had his throat slit because he was found out

Or any one of the other many stories I don't care to remember
                No, see, Asher, Japh, they weren't being Christian when they were doing that.

It's the Gay Panic. When that hits straight people, it blocks out any other mental state they have.

Y'know, kinda like how Grand Wizards get all nervous around well-spoken blacks who are a credit to their kind.
                B♭3

Comment

True, Boris... still, that was gay
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

As far as what's permissible, if there's consent between the involved parties and it does not infringe upon my rights and liberties, I don't see why my beliefs should infringe upon theirs.
                    B♭3

Comment

Q: I just hate it when ppl hide behind religion for being homophobic... The Christianity I follow preaches love, I guess that is something strange to some here.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Japh: Villains have always twisted greater ideals, like Religion and Science to their ugly, disgusting things.

I agree it's tragic.
                        B♭3

Comment

You're right...it was a fencepost and they used rope, not nails. But they did beat the **** out of him and left him to die.
                          So you are saying Christians as a group, nailed him to a tree, like the Romans did with Christ?

I still don't see it Asher. Christians have condemned the act just as they would for anyone else.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

From a Christian standpoint?
                            Your Christian standpoint. Japher's a Christian too, and clearly he doesn't agree with you
                            Last edited by Traianvs; December 4, 2008, 22:08.
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

So you are saying Christians as a group, nailed him to a tree, like the Romans did with Christ?

I still don't see it Asher. Christians have condemned the act just as they would for anyone else.
                              That's news to me. I must have missed the coverage that showed Falwell, Robertson and the others denouncing the murder of Shepherd back in 1998.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I like how every Christian needs to do something in unison.

Christianity, as a group, persecutes homosexuals regularly. Check out Prop 8, which you supported.

You're just not bright enough to realize what you're doing is social persecution.

I don't buy the excuse that religion and homophobia have no correlation, because statistics show otherwise.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X