No announcement yet.

What's up with Santa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man Santa's gonna be deep into coal futures this season.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
      I'm not saying it's a huge problem or anything, just that it's screwy and pointless.
      Agreed. I don't think it's a problem one way or the other. It is a bit disconcerting that kids who don't believe in Santa are culturally browbeaten into keeping up the pretense for others, as Berz showed. My nephew got into the same sort of trouble with his school recently, and it was due to a slip of the tongue, not being an intentional spoil-sport.

I don't think a kid growing up without the specific fantasies of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. is going to have measurably different level of childhood happiness than those who do.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I think its pointless much as does the OP.

I also think it dosen't make a direct difference either way.

But it does make an indirect difference that might be a good argument for its abolishment, it encourages younger children to pretend something is real in front of other kids, this is one of the earliest lessons in behaving as if you belive in something.

One line of tought on this might be: Kids will need to learn that eventually anyway. If they don't want to be social outcasts. I mean if people went declaring they where homosexuals in the 1930's they'd get arrested and if people where saying there was no God in the 1600's they'd get burned at the stake, surley we don't want our kids to think truth matters more than their personal convinience?

The other might be: Eastasia we have always been at war with Eurasia! It teaches double think! Its alll a NWO consipracy! Its used to make citizens obedient and quiet.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Re: What's up with Santa?

Originally posted by Elok
          Do they have this stuff in other cultures too? Like, do Chinese kids believe in the Summer Dragon King who hides candy around the house on Mao's birthday (I don't know what holidays they celebrate over there)?
          Not exactly the same, but since it's also about telling kids about (here bad) guys who don't exist:

Blah

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X