Can we defeat homosexuality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Right, but my point was that the assertion that the supposed atheist bigotry against religious people is anywhere near the magnitude of religiously-inspired bigotry against--well, the many things they hate--is absurd. By sheer numbers alone, we know this to not be the case. Atheists as a constituency exert close to zero power in U.S. politics, as most people still look at atheists as objects of mistrust and hatred.

It's mainstream Christian theology that atheists will burn in hell for all Eternity. How can atheists compete with that?
    In this context, by bigoted I mean in conversations (such as on here) between some atheists and some Christians where atheists have used bigoted, deragatory remarks when referring to Christians, or when talking with Christians. I didn't mean by bigoted in that atheists are actually in a position of power to take the rights of Christians. Maybe there was a better choice of word I could have used - like jerk or something.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

In this context, by bigoted I mean in conversations (such as on here) between some atheists and some Christians where atheists have used bigoted, deragatory remarks when referring to Christians, or when talking with Christians. I didn't mean by bigoted in that atheists are actually in a position of power to take the rights of Christians. Maybe there was a better choice of word I could have used - like jerk or something.
      The word you are looking for is "honest".
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• It's true. I don't say anything I don't mean.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

In that case, I will now play the very teeny-tiniest violin in the world for you.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• By the way, it's curious you haven't addressed my point that there are more churches in communities such as Washington DC that are becoming so welcoming of gays and lesbians that Metropolitan Community Churches are not attracting as great a number now.

As for your assertion that diversity among religions negates the existence of God, I don't buy that at all. Different cultures have come to believe in the same God (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). To me, it doesn't matter how you believe in God - I'm not dogmatic in that I believe there is only ONE absolute right path in believing in God.

Given cultural differences among those who believe in God, it would be ridiculous indeed to think everyone should have come to the same, exact approach in having faith in God.

As for the diversity within Christianity among the different denominations and sects, it simply means that other Christians have found other ways to believe in the same God. Just because no one path is the only path, does not mean God does not exist.

Comment

Just because no one path is the only path, does not mean God does not exist.
                No, the utter lack of objective evidence for the existence of any god is enough to reasonably make that conclusion.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Faith does not require scientific evidence for the existence of God.

Comment

Faith does not require scientific evidence for the existence of God.
                    I don't consider that a virtue. It's certainly not rational.

I suppose faith wouldn't require evidence for the existence of anything, be it god, unicorn, the benefits of organic foods, etc.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I consider faith to be good, positive characteristic in a person.

But, I can also respect those who, for different reasons, have not yet embraced faith.

Comment

By the way, it's curious you haven't addressed my point that there are more churches in communities such as Washington DC that are becoming so welcoming of gays and lesbians that Metropolitan Community Churches are not attracting as great a number now.
                        That's because it's not substantiated and would best be explained by the declining number of Americans going to church, period?

As for your assertion that diversity among religions negates the existence of God, I don't buy that at all.
                        I didn't assert that. Please read what I write, not what Jesus told you I wrote.

As for the diversity within Christianity among the different denominations and sects, it simply means that other Christians have found other ways to believe in the same God. Just because no one path is the only path, does not mean God does not exist.
                        So let's assume God does exist.

What does he want from you?

Religions all differ on this. So, what's the point? For all you know, God really does hate homosexuals and when you die you will be pitchforked in the ass by Richard Simmons for all of eternity. Or maybe God -- assuming he's a reasonable, rational entity with no ego to be massaged -- doesn't want everyone praying to him and worshipping him like he's some attention-starved child?

The diversity of Christianity and religion in general tells you that even if there is a God, chances are you're doing something he doesn't want or like.

Comment

• The idea of Church seems to contradict what Jesus says anyway, since Mark Chapter 6 verses 5-6 instruct people not to pray in public, but rather do it in private in a closet. Seems to me 99% of Christians ignore this command.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Faith does not require scientific evidence for the existence of God.
                            No. But I am unwilling at this moment in time to use as a fundamental tenet of my worldview something which cannot be rationally determined.
                            B♭3

Comment

I consider faith to be good, positive characteristic in a person.

But, I can also respect those who, for different reasons, have not yet embraced faith.
                              "have not yet" -- this is the kind of innocent wording that breeds contempt for Christians. You imply it is inevitable, which in turn implies you are on some higher level of existence that us atheists can only aspire to. Pick your words more carefully.

Faith is not a good, positive characteristic in most cases. Would you prefer the people who made airplanes designed it as they saw fit, and had faith that it would work? Or would you prefer there be some kind of scientific approach to how they're built?

And then explain why the construction of an airplane is important enough to require more than faith, while constructing a value system with important (and arbitrary) rules to run everyone's life by is not important enough for that.

Comment

• I look forward to the day when all religious people see reason and embrace atheism.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X