Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have lost faith in America, and Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Oerdin
    Not to send like BK but it isn't over yet. Prop 8 is only up by 4 points with 24% of the vote still to be counted but, yes, it is a steep hill to climb. It's disappointing that the blacks and hispanics who just registered to vote and who are celebrating the end of racial discrimination where the ones who, seemingly, voted overwhelmingly to ban civil rights for gays. WTF? "We hated it when you were discriminating against us but we're fine with discriminating against gays."
    I think you'll find that homophobia is pretty prevalent in black and (American) hispanic society.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

    Comment


    • #17
      A gay adoption ban was passed here in Arkansas, and by a not terrible margin of 57 to 43%. Decisive, but not a landslide, and much better than the gay marriage ban vote went four years ago.

      In the meantime it's possible that the adoption ban will displace hundreds of foster care children across the state. But like I was telling a friend, winds of culture change, and this one can be overturned by a future generation or, very slightly possibly, a court.

      We also passed an initiative that has the legislature meet every year, instead of once every two years, like we have been doing. This one you should feel worse for since government will NEVER get smaller once it's grown.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Solver
        Looking at it from this side of the ocean, I continue to be amazed at how conservative the American society remains, overall.
        Indeed, they are some kind of 1950's century Bizzaro Europe
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

        Comment


        • #19
          On the upside, Marijuana decriminalization passed in Massachusetts, by very VERY healthy margins!
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Dr Strangelove




            What?


            Adoption...
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            Contact: solver-at-weplayciv-dot-com
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Solver
              Looking at it from this side of the ocean, I continue to be amazed at how conservative the American society remains, overall. While the people were able to elect Obama, the ballot proposal voting is still downright conservative. Adoption by gays banned, gay marriage banned. It's just... weird.
              Yeah, I'd like to know how many Obama voters are homophobic enough to have joined with conservatives to have voted for such garbage.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

              Comment


              • #22
                Well, from the numbers I see, Floridans voted 62-38 to ban gay marriage, while Obama won the state by 51-49. So that shows quite a few Obama voters who voted to ban gay marriage, most probably.

                I'm not sure how you handle these simultaneous elections on many matters, can a person vote for President but not vote on the ballot measures, or vice versa?
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                Contact: solver-at-weplayciv-dot-com
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

                Comment


                • #23
                  Quite a large number (~20% of his support), unfortunately.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Solver
                    Well, from the numbers I see, Floridans voted 62-38 to ban gay marriage, while Obama won the state by 51-49. So that shows quite a few Obama voters who voted to ban gay marriage, most probably.

                    I'm not sure how you handle these simultaneous elections on many matters, can a person vote for President but not vote on the ballot measures, or vice versa?
                    Yes. You get one ballot with a number of races and sometimes some ballot initiatives as well. You can vote on any of them.

                    Probably 99+% of people choose to vote for president, obviously, and often far fewer than that vote on ballot initiatives. But I bet gay marriage bans get a high number of votes for a ballot question, because it's easy to have an opinion about that without any research.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

                    Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MrFun


                      Yeah, I'd like to know how many Obama voters are homophobic enough to have joined with conservatives to have voted for such garbage.
                      You guys are going to have to start fighting harder for your rights. That's the only way people are going to start treating you like equals.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Small victories: Question 1 in CT failed, 40/60. It's indirect, but many supporters of Q1 supported it b/c it may have offered a way around the recent supreme court ruling on gay marriage.

                        Also, Question 2 passed 65/35. How you likin' that one, Ozzy? A baby step, perhaps, but a step nonetheless.

                        -Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

                        The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Solver
                          Well, from the numbers I see, Floridans voted 62-38 to ban gay marriage, while Obama won the state by 51-49. So that shows quite a few Obama voters who voted to ban gay marriage, most probably.
                          Considering that even Obama is against gay marriage, I don't see the surprise.
                          Unbelievable!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            **** that. Y'all finally win all the damn elections, and then you refuse to push on the one damn time you're actually unequivocally right about something?

                            This is why your party sucks.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

                            Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Why should a black or Hispanic person support gay marriage? Just because he is or was also treated unfairly by the society?
                              Gays should just accept that calling gay marriages marriages upsets too many people. They should refer to them as civil unions only. Less controversy means more efficiency.
                              Graffiti in a public toilet
                              Do not require skill or wit
                              Among the **** we all are poets
                              Among the poets we are ****.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Darius871


                                Considering that even Obama is against gay marriage, I don't see the surprise.
                                I think he privately supports equal marriage rights for gays and lesbians but out of pragmatism, he publicly advocates civil unions as a realistic step in right direction.

                                He also wants to repeal DOMA and "don't ask, don't tell." My anger is not toward Obama, but toward conservative homophobes and some Obama voters who are bigoted homophobes.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X