1/4 of Texas: "Obama's a Muslim"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 of Texas: "Obama's a Muslim"

WASHINGTON — A University of Texas poll to be released today shows Republican presidential candidate John McCain and GOP Sen. John Cornyn leading by comfortable margins in Texas, as expected. But the statewide survey of 550 registered voters has one very surprising finding: 23 percent of Texans are convinced that Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is a Muslim.

Obama is a Christian who was embroiled in a controversy earlier this year about his two-decade membership in Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Yet just 45 percent of those polled identified the Illinois senator as a Protestant.

The Obama-is-a-Muslim confusion is caused by fallacious Internet rumors and radio talk-show gossip. McCain went so far at one of his town hall meetings to grab a microphone from a woman who claimed that Obama was an Arab.

The Texas numbers are unusual because most national polls show that just 5 to 10 percent of Americans still believe Obama is a Muslim — less than half the number of Texans who buy into the debunked theories.

The UT poll shows McCain running ahead of Obama statewide, with a 51 percent to 40 percent margin. Cornyn, a first-term Republican from San Antonio, leads Rick Noriega, a state representative from Houston, 45 percent to 36 percent. Another 14 percent of voters remain undecided in the contest.

The poll found that 89 percent of Lone Star State voters say the country's economic situation is worse than a year ago. And President Bush and Congress both get record low marks.

Just 34 percent of Texans approve of Bush's job performance — a big change for a former governor who won re-election 10 years ago with 70 percent of the vote. And Congress is even more unpopular: Just 8 percent of Texas voters approve of the work being done on Capitol Hill.

The telephone poll was conducted by the Texas Politics Project and Department of Government at The University of Texas at Austin. The poll was conducted from Oct. 15 to 22, and had a margin of error of 4.2 percentage points.

Not that 5-10% is a good number for the rest of the country.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Not such a big surprise.
    After all, how many people within the USA believed Bushs lies that Saddam had ties to Al Quaeda and was involved in 9/11?
    If I remember corectly the percentage was especially among republican voters unusually high, especially as it would have required just a little bit of reading to debunk these lies.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

"Muslim" is code for "nigra."

Comment

I'm sure fascinated with people's fascination with Texas.
        Not that I blame them. I'm glad I don't live in boring-ass Iowa or Rhode Island or North Dakota or etc., etc.
        Talk on brother, talk on.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          "Muslim" is code for "nigra."
          actually it is. When I was living with this old lady, I wanted to invite friends over. Either a turkish guy, or a polish one. Both muslims. So I told her, a pius catholic, that I want to invite a friend over, and that he's a muslim. She said: "what? ah, a ******!".
          I had to tell her muslim is not a black person, and, anyway, ****** (czarnuch) word is not polite.

I did not invite them over.
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

25% is a pretty high gullibility rate.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You mean he isn't one? Raised in a madrassa in Jakarta?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What I find extreme is that at least 25 % of texans know anything about what is existing outside the state
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's not as if there was no reason for such a conviction. His father was muslim, he was raised in a muslim school in a muslim country, his first and second name are muslim.
                  Now he is not a muslim, but these people seem to believe he is hiding his religious views.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

I can see where they might get this impression. No gullibility needed. Only skepticism.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I find it more disconcerting few seem to question whether being a Muslim is supposed to be a stigma in the first place.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        I can see where they might get this impression. No gullibility needed. Only skepticism.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think it would be cool if Obama turned out not only to be Muslim, but also a communist, fascist, closet jew/homosexual, and the antiChrist all in one.
                          "

Comment

Neither McCain, Biden, or Obama strike me as particularly religious people. For most politicians, their personal faith/religion is a tool to get votes but some, like Palin, are genuine religious nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
                              I think it would be cool if Obama turned out not only to be Muslim, but also a communist, fascist, closet jew/homosexual, and the antiChrist all in one.
                              I don't mind if it happens in inferior coutries such as Canada, but if it happens in contries with nuclear capabilities such as in US, I tend to be a bit worried.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X