Abortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    You don't get the point. The couple decided to roll the dice. If they "lose", don't expect the house to feel sorry for you. Your term of "it" is consistent with your attitude.
    They rolled the dice and now don't want something connected to her body anymore. I don't see why we should say that she can't remove her consent at any time. After all, if you rent to some person, you can remove your consent to them staying there if you don't have a signed contract for a specific term. I don't see a contract signed between the woman and the fetus (hell, the fetus doesn't even have the motor functions to sign anything), do you?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, if it can live outside the womb (viability) then take it out and let it live in an incubator. But I don't think the woman should have to open her womb to a visitor she does not want.
      So now we can inflict egriegious bodily harm on people for confienence? Good to know I don't have to break for pedestrians anymore.

She did open her womb to a visitor, which is the whole reason she is on the hook. Oh, I think you are confused at where the consent took place.

I don't see why we should say that she can't remove her consent at any time.
      Is that how it works with other consequences?

They rolled the dice and now don't want something connected to her body anymore. I don't see why we should say that she can't remove her consent at any time.
      Because her consent was already given, and another human life is now dependent on it. If she was carrying a used tire you would have a point.

After all, if you rent to some person, you can remove your consent to them staying there if you don't have a signed contract for a specific term. I don't see a contract signed between the woman and the fetus (hell, the fetus doesn't even have the motor functions to sign anything), do you?
      Ever hear of squatting rights?

Imran hasn't stated here that he supports partial-birth abortion.
      As of right now given his comments in this thread he is. He said the human status of the baby is unimportant, thus he could care less what happens to it. Hell, using his current standards a mother would be within your rights to drown her nursing child.
      Last edited by Patroklos; October 6, 2008, 12:59.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Bad question.

The critical question is not whether we believe abortion to be good or bad, reasonable or unreasonable, necessary or unnecessary.

The question is: Does the government have the authority to overrule what the woman decides?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          Bad question.

The critical question is not whether we believe abortion to be good or bad, reasonable or unreasonable, necessary or unnecessary.

The question is: Does the government have the authority to overrule what the woman decides?
          Of course they have the authority. They are the government after all.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Of course they have the authority. They are the government after all.
            Sorry. I should have specified a non-Bush government, i.e. one that repsects the Bill of Rights, civil rights and human rights and one that does not have absolute and capricious powers.

Comment

Does the government have the authority to keep someone from murdering someone else?

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Sorry. I should have specified a non-Bush government, i.e. one that repsects the Bill of Rights, civil rights and human rights and one that does not have absolute and capricious powers.
                I take it you think the framers wanted women to have the right to have an abortion but not have the right to vote.

I'm pro-choice btw.

Comment

She did open her womb to a visitor, which is the whole reason she is on the hook.

And I don't think she did. It was an unwelcome visitor. Similar to having a party and then some guy decides not to go home and crashes on her couch.

Ever hear of squatting rights?

Yes and they require quite a bit of requirements before they are deemed to own the property. Btw, renters can NEVER be granted squatters rights (they were not stating ownership of the property), just so you know.

Hell, using his current standards a mother would be within your rights to drown her nursing child.

How is a nursing child asking for consent to live inside of a woman?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                    She did open her womb to a visitor, which is the whole reason she is on the hook. Oh, I think you are confused at where the consent took place.
                    Not if she used protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      Does the government have the authority to keep someone from murdering someone else?

JM
                      Your question implies a foetus is a "someone else" and that killing one is "murder."

Comment

I'm for the right to choose.
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Your question implies a foetus is a "someone else" and that killing one is "murder."
                          I think it is obvious beyond 23 weeks or so. This is from using the scientific definitions that we use at all other points.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Opposed under all circumstances but life of the mother and fatal deformity. The idea that it'll just happen anyway, so we should allow it to happen openly is a bit silly--somewhat akin to seeing a poor person stealing food, noting that they have few other realistic choices, and then legalizing theft to protect them from reprisals. Well-meaning, but wrong nonetheless.

EDIT for civility.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

****, didn't we just have a long abortion debate? Guys, give it a rest for at least a month or two.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm not a fan of abortion, but then it's not my body.
                                Women should have a choice. If it was my wife, I'd let her know my opinion but would support whatever she decided 100%.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X