Abortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos
    That comparison is hopelessly inadequate.

It all depends on when it is a human life, so for all intents and purposes abortion in the first trimester only.
    The point of the comparison is that I don't care when or if it's a human life. It has to deal with whether the fetus/baby has your consent to be in your body.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The point of the comparison is that I don't care when or if it's a human life. It has to deal with whether the fetus/baby has your consent to be in your body.
      Ah, so you don't oppose murder for personal convienience? Or maybe you need to pick a more appropriate comparison.

If you had cosentual sex you have come to terms with the possible consequences, unless you honestly think people don't understand how babies are made.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Pro-choice here. I find it akin to being forced to keep a homeless man in your house on a sub-zero day after you've found him crawling in a window.
        That is a ridiculous comparison, Imran. Actually, disgusting. You both invited the baby in.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I see it as a lottery

In the old days, sex was like a lottery in which 17 times you would get 100 bucks, and 1 time you would get a kick on the balls

Nowadays, because of contraception, you get 100 bucks 98 times, and a kick on the balls only twice

When people decide to participate in that lottery, they know of that small risk of losing, so, if they lose, they have to be responsible about it.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            That is a ridiculous comparison, Imran. Actually, disgusting. You both invited the baby in.
            No you didn't.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Yes, you did. Coping with it by denying it is pathetic.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

K
                Last edited by Wiglaf; March 26, 2009, 20:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  If you had cosentual sex you have come to terms with the possible consequences, unless you honestly think people don't understand how babies are made.
                  You consented to sex, not to have a parasite in your body. It may have been a forseeable consequence, but the consent was not there. Therefore, if you want it to leave, you should have that right.

Comment

That is one of the worst characteristics of some of the pro-choice crowd, their complete inability to admit what they are doing. It detracts from their position unnecessarily.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

You consented to sex, not to have a parasite in your body. It may have been a forseeable consequence, but the consent was not there. Therefore, if you want it to leave, you should have that right.
                      I consent to going into debt, not to them taking my house away. Time to bust out the shotgun and take out some repo men.

Comment

Except that in this case the result is not say a car accident or forclosure like the forseeable but negative consequance of other common activities (note the infrequency doesn't absolve your from the consequences), but rather a human life.

Now, if you believe that for some or all of the pregnancy that there is no human life and abortion is thus okay then fine, but to pretend that pregnancy isn't a known consequence of consenting activity is dishonest to say the least. The only question is what the consequenses of that action entail.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                          Rape, incest, teen pregnancy, or serious complications to expectant's mother's health and/or to fetus. Also in situations of an impoverished or lower class woman who is pregnant and would find the cost of child-bearing and raising child to be too economically/financially stressful.

I would not favor any law that explicitly prohibits women getting an abortion merely for convenience's sake in other much less serious pregnancy situations. But personally, I find those types of abortions more objectionable.
                          Sounds about right to me !!!
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Imran, I had hopes that as you grew older, you would also grow wiser. I see that's not the case. Parasite?
                            Given it's your offspring, you might be correct. How about this. an abortion and then a trip for you and your "pardner" to the nearest spay and neuter facility?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Rape, incest or health of the mother or child. NOT as a contraceptive alternative.

I vote "No", since you make it one or the other.
                              For someone who pricipally thinks state interference should be kept to a minimum you sure like push your own absolute values onto other people.
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

The biggest struggle I have with the issue of abortion is knowing that in the old days parents discarded unwanted babies. Whether they were unwanted because they were deformed or because they were simply born at a bad time in the parents life, it used to be common practice. We have fairy tales about it it was so common.

Ultimately though I think that the decision for an abortion is up to both of the parents, if either one of them wants to keep the child the mother should be made to bear it.

I know, I'm a terrible woman hater, but lets face it everyone knows sex makes babies.

Comment

Working...
                                X