MrFun's trip to DC and surroudning area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
    Funny thing is, I was actually in Silver Spring yesterday afternoon, catching a screening of a silent film at the AFI. If only I'd stayed in the Boy Scouts a bit longer, I could have tracked him!
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

At least I called Dan to let him know what was up that night.

Comment

In any event, I had a good time with Timex talking about career choices and world affairs and hoisting a few brews.

You would have loved the trannies on parade, Mr Fun.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm glad there's no hard feelings.

Now I feel embarrassed in freaking out that night about the level of safety at the Silver Spring metro station. That night I just wasn't comfortable with the thought of being lost somewhere in DC or Silver Spring late at night, as I've never used the metro here before.

But earlier today in the afternoon I did use the red line metro and went to Dupont Circle. I checked out the shops, the bookstores, and of course some of the guys. It's a great neighborhood there. I picked up a couple of different free community publications while I was out there.

As I become more familiar with the metro stations and routes I will then decide to venture out at night to check out the clubs - and of course, some of the guys.

Comment

Should have seen this earlier, I would have shown up...and you all would have been blessed by the presence of LLLOOOOOONNNNNEESSSTTTAARRRR!!!!

Seriously, being a full time student and working is kicking the crap out of me.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Ah, I remember my days of working on my thesis, working in retail, and teaching as an adjunct all at the same time.

Hang in there Lonestar.

Comment

Jesus Christ, MrFun... grow a pair, will ya?
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

My pair are just fine, thank you.

Comment

Then stop being afraid of Silver Spring, for Pete's sake.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yeah, how will you handle going anywhere near the bad areas?

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                        Then stop being afraid of Silver Spring, for Pete's sake.

I am doing better - I've been going out to different places and exploring on my own everyday I've been here. I just freaked out that night when I was in an unfamiliar area by the metro station.

Besides, I admitted that I had overreacted. Give me points for realizing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          Yeah, how will you handle going anywhere near the bad areas?

JM
                          Reminds me of Langley Virginia not too many years ago.

Who would think, of all places, outside the home of the Central Intelligence Agency, would get so violent?

You would assume it would be secure and safe, but not the case one day some 11 years ago

June 11, 1997:

CIA shooting suspect held without bond
                          June 18, 1997
                          Web posted at: 11:50 a.m. EDT (1550 GMT)
                          FAIRFAX, Virginia (CNN) -- The man suspected of killing two people and injuring three others in a 1993 shooting spree outside CIA headquarters was ordered held without bond Wednesday morning.

Prosecutors consider Mir Aimal Kansi a risk to flee. He was returned to the United States from Pakistan Tuesday after a multi-national manhunt.

At a hearing Wednesday, Kansi did not enter a plea on the charges facing him, which include two counts of murder for the January 25, 1993, shooting.

The government alleges that Kansi is the man who opened fire at people waiting in their cars to turn into the CIA's Langley, Virginia, parking lot. Kansi left the United States the day after the crime.

Fairfax Commonwealth Attorney Robert Horan told court officials he plans to ask for the death penalty for Kansi, although he said his decision is not final.
                          (119 K/11 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)

Kansi, who will be held in solitary confinement, told the judge Wednesday that he could not pay for a lawyer. Judge J. Howe Brown ordered that an attorney be appointed and set the next court date for June 27.

In a statement released Wednesday morning coinciding with the hearing, U.S. President Bill Clinton praised the FBI, CIA and the departments of State, Justice and Defense for their cooperation in the investigation of the shooting.

"The United States will not relent in the pursuit of those who use violence against Americans to advance their goals no matter how long it takes, no matter where they hide," Clinton said.

White House Press Secretary Mike McCurry said Clinton had approved the plan and "personally followed developments in this matter extremely closely."

If he has concerns, he needs time to feel secure inside, I mean, where is the sensitivity that has made Poly a safehaven for its people, of its people and in support of its people?
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Sensitivity and Apolyton . . . .

nope, don't see those two words being used together in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

I am doing better - I've been going out to different places and exploring on my own everyday I've been here. I just freaked out that night when I was in an unfamiliar area by the metro station.

Besides, I admitted that I had overreacted. Give me points for realizing that.
                              You get props

Necessity of explaining to those who dont understand why?

Being aware of Phobias and addressing them...Priceless
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Dude, I had never lived outside of a tiny village or small college campus before coming to live in College Park. And that area is worse then Silver Spring!

JM
                                (I had never lived in a community > 3000 people... well, since I Was just a very young kid and never went anywhere without my parents)
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X