Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opened a Think or Swim, now I've got a couple days to wait til I can use it.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrONoS
      This very morning my friends bought: hou.to for himself and the student fund.

The funny thing is that he spoke about it the whole weekend ( he is a student in finance, and manage a student fund (around 100 000$).
      Google Finance provides real-time market quotes, international exchanges, up-to-date financial news, and analytics to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

I should have bought with him...
      Hopefully, the student fund is well diversified? Hopefully in non-commodity-based companies?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Seems like a good time to invest in the broad market. 45% off its highs.

I'm putting a good chunk into IVV (S&P 500 index etf) today. I'll probably do the same tomorrow.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Watch out IMO... I'd say that this is just a pause before further drops... the overall economy globally, and in US will get worse before it gets better IMO... the next quarter could be pretty bad, as I'd expect in general that across all the industries the profits will take a furthyer hits from all the belt tightening across the sectors... + housing has still a lot of room to go down & banking has at least another 6 months before getting better, so this apparent stability around 8.5k for DOW... or around 850 for S&P... I am not so certain about it...

in any case good luck, but at 45% off it's highs should be OK it's not Nasdaq in y2001 after all
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Yeh, there's a ton of bad news to come out of Q4. However, it seems like everybody knows it will be dreadful and have already factored it in.

Comment

• I sort of agree... as there was a TON of horrible news last few weeks and no drops (to my surprise) ... so I guess everyone is either in the festive spirits, or waiting for some more to start the sell-off, but I doubt this is the end of really bad news, more like the beginning of and that we have at least up to next autumn for it to hit properly with really high unemployment numbers, wiped out corporate profits etc...

non-factored details are the fact that jobs are still flowing out to far east (probably at an accelerated pace), the fact that dollar is not falling despite of abysmal economic performance, hampering the US based industries even further, overall I'd image it will be a whole lot worse and a significant further drop before it gets better... the only question is when it will hit for the second round...

This is not like dot com bubble of 2000, where Nasdaq barely passed 1/2 of the peak in the 8 years since, but I don't think we will be seeing 14k DOW any time soon after this re-adjustment either... this 8.5k level is pretty low, but I would not be surprised if this is closer to a peak for the mid term (2-3 years), rather than a low.
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised to see further drops either. October was quite a shock, after all. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me to see a stock market that gains 40% in 2009.

I'm rather sanguine about the direction of our trade balance. Ex-oil, it was heading in the right direction even during the Summer. It seems that the jobs now are flowing more out of Europe to the Far East than the US to the Far East.

The housing market has already been factored into this market. However, the market may be expecting a 30% decline, when a 40% decline is in the offing. The Case-Shiller figures released tomorrow morning probably will be frightful. Those declines should continue through the winter, at least.

Comment

• So, if I've the option of starting 401k now, or waiting another year or so, you're suggesting perhaps a year would be good to wait? (I'm still in my (late) 20s so it's not crucial quite yet, and relatively low in my earning capacity compared to future potential)
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised to see further drops either. October was quite a shock, after all. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me to see a stock market that gains 40% in 2009.

I'm rather sanguine about the direction of our trade balance. Ex-oil, it was heading in the right direction even during the Summer. It seems that the jobs now are flowing more out of Europe to the Far East than the US to the Far East.

The housing market has already been factored into this market. However, the market may be expecting a 30% decline, when a 40% decline is in the offing. The Case-Shiller figures released tomorrow morning probably will be frightful. Those declines should continue through the winter, at least.

let me put it this way: I hope you are right as good US economy means stability for all the rest including beginning of recovery for battered UK.

but I am much less optimistic, unless some Obama magic happens, by mid Feb it should show the direction pretty clearly...

Comment

• I am much less sanguine about the UK, I'm afraid to say. UK residential real estate prices are following US residential real estate prices by about 9 months. And US residential real estate prices continue to crater. The worst is still ahead for the UK, while it is probably behind for the US.

That said, commercial real estate could turn ugly in the US. That might create something of a surprise for the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                        So, if I've the option of starting 401k now, or waiting another year or so, you're suggesting perhaps a year would be good to wait? (I'm still in my (late) 20s so it's not crucial quite yet, and relatively low in my earning capacity compared to future potential)
                        No better time than the present.

Comment

• commercial real estate is the next round (and probably the final asset round) everywhere... I doubt this is factored in... and for UK... yes were are almost a year behind... but also pound is about 30% off from year ago vs major currencies while dollar is either up or at parity...

hope this new "cheapness" will bring create some extra jobs to buffer the downturn here, but as we were like one big California re asset values... this still has a long way to go...

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

No better time than the present.
                            But if the market is going to continue dropping as much as 30% off today's close, is there any real point in putting money in that will just depreciate 30%?
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• You're not losing the money before you sell your stock.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

But if the market is going to continue dropping as much as 30% off today's close, is there any real point in putting money in that will just depreciate 30%?
                                Do you get matching funds from an employer?

Do you have options other than stocks?
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X