This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be the bid!

The prices in the general stock market in the US are still a little too rich for my taste, so I'm not buying index funds yet. But there are some reasonable deals on specific stocks out there. Today I picked up some shares of AMAT at $15.

AMAT makes semiconductor manufacturing tools, flat-screen TV manufacturing tools, and solar panel manufacturing tools. It is the worldwide leader in all three markets. The company's biggest market is semiconductor manufacturing tools. That semiconductor manufacturing tool market is tanking right now, so investors have been selling the stock. This quarter's results could be ugly -- we'll have to see. The solar panel manufacturing tools market, while exciting, is new and speculative, especially with commodities prices declining so much lately.

The stock is trading at a P/E of 18 and 10x free cash flow. The company has almost no debt and reasonable amounts of cash on hand. The dividend yield is about 1.6%. Its price to sales ratio is about 2.

Critiques and suggestions for other stocks are welcome.
    Last edited by DanS; September 30, 2008, 23:14.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Just how exciting is the solar panel manufacturing tools market? Is it as exciting as snorting a big line of meth and bungee jumping naked and blindfolded? Less so? More so?

Comment

You know how Texans and their oil fixations are.

GRAN TIERRA ENERGY(AMEX: GTE)

52wk Range: 1.39 - 8.78
      P/E (ttm): 24.09
      Day's Range: 3.32 - 3.84
      Last Trade: 3.71

Gran Tierra Energy Inc. is an international oil and gas exploration and production company headquartered in Calgary, Canada, incorporated and traded in the United States and operating in South America. The Company currently holds interests in producing and prospective properties in Colombia, Argentina and Peru. The Company strategy is focused on establishing a portfolio of drilling opportunities to exploit undeveloped reserves to grow production, as well as undertaking exploration drilling to grow future reserves.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by LotC
        Just how exciting is the solar panel manufacturing tools market? Is it as exciting as snorting a big line of meth and bungee jumping naked and blindfolded? Less so? More so?
        AMAT recently received a $2 billion solar tools order. How exciting is that to you?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I don't know about him, but I'm about to wet my pants with excitement.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Obviously not nearly as much as it is to you.

Comment

Is the line of meth fun?

Comment

Safe bet, but how much of a gain on investment could you realize? The ratios look great, but there looks to be a motive to maintain the status quo rather than expand. Clear market leader, strong in just about everything, but I wonder if research will suffer. I would keep as a short term investment, maybe just over a year to get the better tax rate. I don't see the company going anywhere.

Comment

I would expect to hold this stock for quite a while. Maybe forever.

The semiconductor manufacturing tools business appears to offer limited upside and some built-in downside. But solar may supplant it within the next several years. The technology is interesting there and I wouldn't mind discussing it more fully, if you're inclined.
                  Last edited by DanS; September 30, 2008, 23:43.

Comment

It is when it's done off of a hooker's ass.

Comment

Now you're talkin!

Comment

I never saw you as a dividend collector Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          I would expect to hold this stock for quite a while. Maybe forever.

The semiconductor manufacturing tools business appears to offer limited upside and some built-in downside. But solar may supplant it within the next several years. The technology is interesting there and wouldn't mind discussing it more fully, if you're inclined.
                          Solar is overrated. It's not reliable. It'll be for niche uses only, never for reasonably high amounts of power for power grids.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                            I never saw you as a dividend collector Dan.
                            No, I don't aim to be a dividend collector quite yet. I think they have some upside. Small chance at a very large upside on the solar.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              Solar is overrated. It's not reliable. It'll be for niche uses only, never for reasonably high amounts of power for power grids.

I think thin film solar could do well in peak demand situations at utility-scale, at a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                              X