PETA just grossed me out!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
    I'd buy it. But I want to see a photo of the woman's face on the carton.

She's gotta be pretty. I have standards.
    You mean she can't look like a cow?
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Ramifications? Like beter use of farm land, more income for poor women, healthier food, and less inhuman treatment of animals?
      1. Farm land? Maybe. Somehow, I doubt it.
      2. More income? Only if they sell in high quantities with good quality. If they don't, something would have to be done to remove alternatives off the market, i.e., outright banning of cow milk, goat milk, llama milk, camel milk, and so on. Which, if you like cheese, would be a tragedy; which, if you actually want to drink milk in the recommended quantities, would quickly make the price too dear to regularly consider.

Which, honestly, would destroy the market for milk.

3. Healthier food? Proof, please. I highly doubt that human milk would suddenly change the entire industrialized farming structure of the world in some sort of cascade reaction.

4. Sure. After the initial butchering of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of livestock after they have no more use or value. And after the virtual extermination of many breeds of these animals, since they're not bred for their meat...

Why are you proposing a final solution against these animals*? Why do you hate them so much?

*I know that claim is ridiculous. It's no more ridiculous than your claim that I think PETA is looking to enslave women and put them into milking pens.
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj

You mean she can't look like a cow?
        No, but her name would be Bessie.
        B♭3

Comment

For the record, I enjoy dairy products of many sorts without hesitation, probably because I am aware first-hand of the conditions at dairy farms throughout New England and northeastern New York where the milk I (and Ben & Jerry) use is produced.
          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
            I don't think PETA is suggesting that, but I'm not sure they've really fully considered the ramifications of switching our milk supply from cow to human.
            Isn't that what PETA does? Ie, not fully considering the ramifications of what they are saying.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Perhaps the genetics guys can help here. I mean cows have 4 udders, yes? That's an unfair advantage. We could get the bra makers on board with this upgrade as well.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles
                  I'm not assuming that they're enslaving women. That was the whole ****ing point of the Dune reference there.

You're the one who thinks I am. You're the one who's extrapolating from my lack of interest in human milk and its containers, and my distinct disdain for what I view as ridiculous stumping from PETA and their tendency towards over-sexualized (not in this case, but the 'go vegan' ads with nearly naked women), over-statement (not in this case, but the 'chicken holocaust' ads), amateur-hour adbusting (not in this case, but the women as packaged meat ads), and irresponsible ('got beer' ads) stunts.

I've never assumed that PETA wants to enslave women. I used the term "chattel", however, because to me, that's precisely how PETA treats its female members--as no better than animals, as commodities to be spent and used without a care. Which is why they parade them around in situations where they barely have a modicum of decency; why they often seem to run ads that use them only for their sexuality and physical attributes, not their other merits. In a way, it makes sense for them to do that, because they are arguing for 'complete animal liberation' or some such, and equating animal rights to human rights.

But I don't view that as necessarily 'feminist', no more than I view the current crop of vapid 'girl power' 'role models' like the Pussycat Dolls as being 'feminist'.

Don't get me wrong, there's space for sex and sexiness in feminism, but when your ad campaigns and your behavior reduce women to nothing more than pin-up images in the vain hopes that it'll somehow change other people's behavior, I can't say I really think you're advancing equal rights.
                  You sound like you're Elok's DL.

Also, you corrected yourself. There's nothing sexist about comparing women to animals when you believe that all animals are equal. They in fact believe that men and women are equal.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    8 udders?

Comment

You sound like you're Elok's DL.
                      So, instead of retracting your allegations against me, or even trying to answer any of my statements, you're calling me a DL?

You're a classy Kid.

Also, you corrected yourself. There's nothing sexist about comparing women to animals when you believe that all animals are equal. They in fact believe that men and women are equal.
                      I didn't correct myself. If anything, I probably didn't explain myself effectively the first time around. But: if they truly do think animals are equal to humans, why have they not treated men in the same fashion that they have women (and, to my original point, with a seeming disdain)? I've not seen any highly publicized ad campaigns with nearly nude men shilling for PETA; I've seen one ad of men compared to many of women in meat packaging; the magazines ads almost never have men explaining why they support PETA; they're not suggesting that men be used as a source of sugars and protein (admittedly, there too would have many issues with consistency and flavoring...)

Maybe PETA isn't treating its women that way out of any intended program, but they're definitely playing along with rather sexist methods.

But it's not even that--PETA claims that animals should be equal to humans--so instead of working to elevate animals directly (which they do not always do effectively), they lower humans--particularly women--to the level of animals, even if only for show.

It's like trying to expose the plight of the sex trade by becoming a prostitute yourself, or of slavery by becoming slave--but only for the photo op itself.

===

Anyway, it's even more ridiculous when you consider the fact that they could just as well have targeted Edy's or Haagen Dazs, but probably assumed those faceless corporations wouldn't have a sense of humor.

That, and it's less compelling than Chrissy Caviar.
                      Last edited by Q Classic; September 25, 2008, 15:31.
                      B♭3

Comment

The company just needs a name upgrade, say Benita and Jennys Ice Cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Snuggles

So, instead of retracting your allegations against me, or even trying to answer any of my statements, you're calling me a DL?
                          I usually just ignore Elok when he is being this ridiculous. I don't find anything that you've said about PETA sexist. They aren't making women look bad. If anything they are making male dominated society look bad.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I usually just ignore Elok when he is being this ridiculous. I don't find anything that you've said about PETA sexist. They aren't making women look bad. If anything they are making male dominated society look bad.
                            First time for everything isn't there?

Comment

I couldn't possibly be as naive as you.
                              Well, you certainly refuted my arguments quite effectively there, and with good evidence.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No one forces female PETA members to carry out the stunts they carry out, and I think they do it knowing full well that naked women draw far more media attention than naked men.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X