Is the Internet making us stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Internet making us stupid?

Sorry, the article is too long to quote. And if you can't manage to read it and ask for a summary instead, you're somehow confirming the point of the article.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

TLDR

Summary please

--

But seriously I can see this myself. I try to read a lot on my train ride into work, but aside from that I find myself getting bored by reading long tracts/books much easier than even in the mid 90s.

I try to strike a balance, but I know the interwebs have kind of make my mind feel more commonplace with a few paragraphs of information.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Is the Internet making us stupid?

Originally posted by Nostromo

Sorry, the article is too long to quote. And if you can't manage to read it and ask for a summary instead, you're somehow confirming the point of the article.
      Am not.

You are the one that misquoted the title.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

As I read this article I kept thinking to myself that I must finish, I must prove him wrong. Well I've checked this thread twice before I actually read the whole thing.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I read the paper on the way to work this morning. I did not, however, read the article in the OP. Bah! Humbug!

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

TLDR
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

My attention span has gone down the internet tubes. I've been on the internet almost 15 years now, and it gets worse every year.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

@ Sprayber. Well, I had to print it. I have a hard time reading long articles on my monitor.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

according to Something Awful it does... I think most of us who enjoy that site already are, myself excluded of course.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Good article, read it a while back, but it's asking the wrong question.

It's more that the internet is making stupidity more visible.
                    B♭3

Comment

TBDR. Wouldn't have read it even in book format. Maybe as a magazine article as I wait to get my haircut. The author should suck less, win moar. (I did get about four paragraphs in before stopping, if you can't read "War and Peace" you should gtfo the intertubes and go study)

Comment

Limited bandwidth didn;t read.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I read the whole thing. No problem - apart from the fact that it was a badly-written, rambling, tedious reactionary diatribe which sought to prove his point by trying to bore the reader to death.

Feeble people always try to blame whatever they can except themselves for their shortcomings, and this writer was a classic case. He forgets that without the internet, no-one would get anywhere near reading his crap anyway. Once upon a time there was not much new to read every day but the paper, and whatever books were available. Now there is a near-infinity at our fingertips and it's understandable that people are picky about what they devote their attention to.

There were some interesting points, in amongst the drivel, but not new ones. Technologies through the ages have affected our thought and the metaphors we use to try an understand the world and our place in it.

What exposed the author as a complete asshat was the pathetic, paranoid, conspiracy-theorising reference to "the growing power that computer engineers and software coders wield over our intellectual lives". ZOMG teh evil programmers are melting our brains!!!

Tw@t.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                            I read the whole thing. No problem - apart from the fact that it was a badly-written, rambling, tedious reactionary diatribe which sought to prove his point by trying to bore the reader to death.
                            ouch

Comment

I thought it was a very good article, making very good points. Knowledge does not equal wisdom, and having all the information in the world at your fingertips does nothing to help you do something with mere data.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X