CA Overturns Gay Marriage Ban!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Overturns Gay Marriage Ban!

SAN FRANCISCO -- The California Supreme Court has overturned a ban on gay marriage, paving the way for California to become the second state where gay and lesbian residents can marry.

The justices released the 4-3 decision Thursday, saying that domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage in an opinion written by Chief Justice Ron George.

"What happens in California, either way, will have a huge impact around the nation. It will set the tone," said Geoffrey Kors, executive director of the gay rights group Equality California.

The court has been asked to decide whether the state's one man-one woman marriage laws violate the civil rights of same-sex couples.

Justices heard oral arguments in a series of cases brought by gay and lesbian couples, the city of San Francisco and two gay rights advocacy groups in early March.

The ruling means California becomes the second state after Massachusetts where gays and lesbians can legally wed.

The cases were brought by the city of San Francisco, two dozen gay and lesbian couples, Equality California and another gay rights group in March 2004 after the court halted San Francisco's monthlong same-sex wedding march that took place at Mayor Gavin Newsom's direction.
    Link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/16261641/detail.html

homosaywhat?

Comment

homosay "Marriage"

Comment

Damn you and your quicker posting skills .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
          homosay "Marriage"
          I guess that childish prank only works in real life.

Comment

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I knew this would happen when I saw Ahnold in T3 with the silly sunglasses
              Blah

Comment

Take that, Ben!
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So one man > millions of Californians

If the people of California supported it, I'm sure they wouldn't mind holding a referendum.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

They already passed a Constitution that trumps referendums.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

If the people of California supported it, I'm sure they wouldn't mind holding a referendum.
                      An unconstitutional law supported by millions of bigots is still an unconstitutional law.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                        homosay "Marriage"
                        Apparently they never bothered teaching you guys the right words for these things.

homosay "I Do" is the correct way to say it
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Drat. I just saw this and wanted to make the thread, although I figured Wittlich would be on top of it.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

*snicker*

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Constutional Equal Rights > Statutory Discrimination

Ironically, the Legislature passed a bill which would have allowed gay marriage. The govenor vetoed it, saying this is a decision that should be left up to the court.

Four justices support the majority decision. The other three supmitted concurring and dessenting opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X