Is Bush the worst president, ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From CNN:
    (CNN) -- With record low approval ratings and intense criticism for his handling of the Iraq war, Hurricane Katrina and the economy, the word most used to label George W. Bush's presidency will be "incompetent," historians say
    The full original text

Comment

• Hands down worst President in at least a century.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• but his redeeming quality was that he was a funny guy... he made my mornings better many times

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Hands down worst President in at least a century.
          Not anymore. 2nd worst in a century.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

He's better then Taft, Hoover, Harding, Carter, Kennedy, LBJ, Wilson, Nixon, Clinton and HW Bush.

That puts him right in the middle for presidents in the 20th century.
            JFK, LBJ, Clinton? WTF? And I say, Hoover, WTF, but I'm a in a minority concerning Hoover's merits.
            Then again, why should I expect BK to agree with me?

My 20/21 cent. ranking:

Truman
            FDR
            Eisenhower
            LBJ (who'd easily make #1 for me, without Vietnam)
            Clinton
            Hoover
            GHW Bush
            Teddy Roosevelt
            Wilson
            JFK

Reagan
            Taft
            Ford
            Nixon
            Coolidge
            Carter
            GW Bush
            Harding

out of competition: Mc Kinley, having basically NO knowledge about his presidency whatsoever.

There'd have to be many incompetent or evil 19th century presidents if GW should fall out of my bottom 10.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Well, I think G W Bush will not pass to history as Bush the Good.
              I need a foot massage

Comment

• I would think Andrew Johnson still made for a worse president than George W. Bush. Although W. makes for a strong contender for the worst.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Ben Kenobi is part of the reason why nobody takes "historians" seriously anymore

If we define "good" president as someone who has moved USA into a more powerful nation and "bad" as someone who's done the opposite in the long term:

Roosevelt, T.
                  Reagan
                  Clinton
                  Roosevelt, F.
                  Eisenhower
                  Truman
                  Bush, G.H.W.
                  Ford
                  Nixon
                  Wilson
                  Hoover
                  McKinley
                  Taft
                  Kennedy
                  Coolidge
                  Johnson, L.
                  Harding
                  Carter
                  Bush, "W"
                  (Buchanan, J.)

To be fair, W. Bush has been exceptionally effective in pushing through his political agenda. The problem is that his agenda has sucked. Constant incompetence, corruption, policy decisions which ended up hurting America made because of almost hopeless ignorance of reality. 2nd worst ever, worst during the last 100 years.

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

JFK, LBJ, Clinton? WTF? And I say, Hoover, WTF, but I'm a in a minority concerning Hoover's merits.
                  Then again, why should I expect BK to agree with me?

My 20/21 cent. ranking:

Truman
                  FDR
                  Eisenhower
                  LBJ (who'd easily make #1 for me, without Vietnam)
                  Clinton
                  Hoover
                  GHW Bush
                  Teddy Roosevelt
                  Wilson
                  JFK

Reagan
                  Taft
                  Ford
                  Nixon
                  Coolidge
                  Carter
                  GW Bush
                  Harding

out of competition: Mc Kinley, having basically NO knowledge about his presidency whatsoever.

There'd have to be many incompetent or evil 19th century presidents if GW should fall out of my bottom 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                    mujahadeen (sp?)
                    mujahideen

Also, you should understand that the term can't be really used with a capital M to define a given faction in a given country (as mainstream newspapers such as Time and The New York Times have usen it for the past 5 years when referring to Afganistan, Iraq or Sudan) for it is a generic word for men who are fighting a war in the name of Islam.

If you want to use a term for "islamic fighters" while speaking English, a good phrase would be "islamic fighters" instead of a hard-to-spell foreign term with meaning requiring specific understanding of cultural context, no?
                    Last edited by RGBVideo; November 7, 2008, 10:00.

Comment

• If we define "good" president as someone who has moved USA into a more powerful nation and "bad" as someone who's done the opposite in the long term:
                      Certainly not the key issue for my ranking, although of course this forms part of the president's job description and has been considered by me. Certainly, making this the supreme aim, TR and RR move quite a bit up, LBJ down.
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

• Jon Coultron's The Presidents

Comment

• Re: Ben Kenobi is part of the reason why nobody takes "historians" seriously anymore

Originally posted by VJ
                          If we define "good" president as someone who has moved USA into a more powerful nation and "bad" as someone who's done the opposite in the long term:
                          "More powerful??' How about happier, with "happiness" being defined as the state of the nation arising from liberty, peace, and prosperity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            He's equally bad to Hoover (who was really in a bad position)
                            Oh please the Hoover administration did EVERYTHING wrong in response to the Depression. Strictly on economics alone (leave Iraq out of the picture because Hoover had no real equivalent) Hoover was clearly worse than Bush.
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• Originally posted by conmcb25

Oh please the Hoover administration did EVERYTHING wrong in response to the Depression. Strictly on economics alone (leave Iraq out of the picture because Hoover had no real equivalent) Hoover was clearly worse than Bush.
                              But then the whole subject of economy was perhaps not as well known then as it is today.

There were plenty of people who predicted that giving away loans to people who had no chance to repay them could lead to problems if the house prices went down.So Bush had the opportunity to prevent the current crisis if he had listened to the right people.
                              http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

• Originally posted by conmcb25

Hoover did not invade Iraq.
                                Hoover did not trample civil liberties.
                                Hoover did not alienate our allies.

Comment

Working...
                                X