No announcement yet.

Buddism: Religion or Philosophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there was many jewish sects who also believed in the idea of the transmigration of souls. Which is reflected in the gospel by two location.
    Yep, that's very true. Just Christ rejected the concept.

The idea in a Christian sense took on a different meaning, where it talks about the journey after a person's death to heaven and to purgatory.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

With all the statues and offerings and praying, I find it hard to not call it a religion.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Like I said earlier; I doubt that the concept of the transmigration of souls was explicitly rejected by Jesus.

The notion have been rejected during the third-fourth century at the beginning of the Catholics church.
        bleh

Comment

What I wanted to point out is, and correct if I'm wrong:

1) Transmigration of souls was a concept known and believed by many jews.

2) Jesus never explicitly condemned this concept

3) The concept was " condemned" in the 3-4 century.
          -----

On a side note:
          Is there any writing of the church father that you encourage me to read? Or even medieval theologians Dun Scott, Aquinas, Albert Le Grand? Summer is beginning, and usually I read a lot of books that I can't read during the semester.
          bleh

Comment

It's in scripture dude.

I don't know what more to say.

Christ said that you don't have the sins from one person pass on down to another person, not in the sense that the Jews thought it would happen, where the soul would transfer from one to another.

I don't know any Christians that teach in reincarnation, and certainly not protestant ones.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              It's in scripture dude.
              Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
              ---

I'm under the impression that he spoke only about that man... The blind guy had to meet Christ, in the goal to show to the world the work of God. (by making him non blind). That's the reason I think he never explicitly rejected "transmigration of souls)

There is a difference between what he said; and something along this way->

Jesus answered, "Blindness doesn't appear because you(or men) sinned in your(their) previous life; or because your parents sinned but that the works of God should be made manifest in all men."

Edited for comprehension.
              Last edited by CrONoS; April 17, 2008, 16:58.
              bleh

Comment

Buddhism is a system of practise rather than a system of belief or philosophy (the practices are followed because they are shown to work, at a personal level). I mean it can be treated like a philosophy, but it can also be treated in a much more down to earth way (this stuff works, lets do it).

Brahm answers what Buddhism is in part by covering what it isn't:
                Meditation the Heart of Buddhism
                Philosophy.

Some people come across Buddhism and they find it's a marvellous philosophy. They can sit around the coffee table after I've given a talk and they can talk for hours and still not be close to enlightenment. Very often people can discuss very high-minded things; their brains can talk about and think about such sublime subjects. Then they go out and swear at the first car that pulls out in front of them on the way home. They lose it all straight away.

Comment

Invalid poll. It's a false dichotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    I vote both. Some people treat buddhism as a philosohy, some as a religion - it varies widely, and suffices for both.

Buddhism has most definitely caused bad in the past... its lack of causing 'bad' is largely due to it no longer being the state religion of any major state, I'd suggest. There certainly were wars and political intrigue based on buddhist religion in the past....
                    Drake said as much, several times. (As a student of Japanese history.)

Comment

I was told that there's "real" Buddhism and there's people's Buddhism. I would say that "Real" Buddhism is a lot closer to a practical philosophy (it reminds me a lot, at times, of the Stoics). People's Buddhism, OTOH, is a lot more religious in nature. Gods play an important role.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                        I was told that there's "real" Buddhism and there's people's Buddhism. I would say that "Real" Buddhism is a lot closer to a practical philosophy (it reminds me a lot, at times, of the Stoics). People's Buddhism, OTOH, is a lot more religious in nature. Gods play an important role.
                        Many of us westerners tend to forget that during the 19th and 18th centuries there were a lot of educated people who treated Christianity more like a philosophy than a religion.
                        Last edited by Heraclitus; April 17, 2008, 17:56.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Invalid poll. It's a false dichotomy.

Well, I guess you have a point there...But imo, Buddism is more a philosophy than a religion, contrary to Christianity, which is the opposite.

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                            Many of us westerners tend to forget that during the 19th and 18th centuries there were a lot of educated people who treated Christianity more like a philosophy than a religion.
                            Mmmm, I always got that impression from Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                              See: Emerson, Thoreau, Jefferson...the Buddhism-is-a-philosophy shtick is silly. It's a system of rules for living based on non-empirical, and sometimes anti-empirical, premises. Throughout history it has functioned as a religion, with missionaries, monks and dogmatic disagreements. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a freaking duck.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I think the lesson here is that religion ~= philosophy in most instances.
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X