Religion and Guns in small-town America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanS

Just play along. As a self-identified intellectual (in Buckeye country), it's part of Guy's persecution complex.
    Wrong, DanS. My persecution complex comes from being a Wolverine in Buckeye country.

I never claimed to be an intellectual. I'm nowhere near smart enough to be President, which is why I'm so "bitter" about the last seven years.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
      "Does he know it too well?" What the hell is that supposed to mean?
      Indonesia. Hussein.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

KrazyHorse for president.
        I would get kicked off the debates as soon as I started to speculate whether my opponents would be intellectually better suited for the job of rodeo clown.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not ****ting anyone.

"Does he know it too well?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? How on Earth can a Presidental candidate know the world "too well"?
          Did it get you to read the article? If not I can't fathom what the author is getting at. Suffice it to say though they have crowned him a world politics guru despite the fact that he is anything but.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't, but Galnemer does.

and only have two or three American flags.

Nary a one. But I do have Canadian flag boxers.
            Well then you're just a goddamn homosexual too!
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Hard to say where it started but my money is on the populist movement with Andrew Jackson (Dem).
              Where it started is purely an academic matter. What is important is that anti-intellectualism is a destructive force in our country, and will continue to be so until intellectuals grow some ****ing balls.

Comment

Where it started is purely an academic matter. What is important is that anti-intellectualism is a destructive force in our country, and will continue to be so until intellectuals get some practical experience.
                Fixed
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Hard to say where it started but my money is on the populist movement with Andrew Jackson (Dem).
                  It frustrates me deeply. Not because all intellectuals (self-identifying or not) are right about everything, but because willful, defiant ignorance is not something to be valued.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Indonesia. Hussein.
                    Perhaps. Most people will never read the article, but those who see the title may have those thoughts which may not be anti-intellectual, but certainly are anti-Obama.

Comment

• The real problem is that the so-called "intellectuals" in politics are not particularly bright, yet because they're smarter than their cohort they think they have all the answers.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                        willful, defiant ignorance is not something to be valued.
                        QFT

Comment

Where it started is purely an academic matter. What is important is that anti-intellectualism is a destructive force in our country, and will continue to be so until intellectuals grow some ****ing balls.
                          Just think about this... The guy who said "Who am I? Why am I here?" during a debate was by far the most qualified man on the stage to be Vice President.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Did it get you to read the article? If not I can't fathom what the author is getting at. Suffice it to say though they have crowned him a world politics guru despite the fact that he is anything but.
                            I did read the article. I'd hardly say they crowned him a world politics guru, but I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that his experiences growing up and traveling overseas give him a certain kind of world perspective that is lacking in Clinton. (The comparasions with McCain's world politics experience are considerably different, of course.)

Comment

Just think about this... The guy who said "Who am I? Why am I here?" during a debate was by far the most qualified man on the stage to be Vice President.

To be fair, the only true qualifications for VP are being a born US citizen of at least 35 years of age, and a pulse.

Comment

• And to be from a key swing state...

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X