Religion and Guns in small-town America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and Guns in small-town America

Let me get this straight. Somebody who hasn't been to church since Easter and probably hasn't shot a gun once in her adult life gets to take pot shots at the out-of-touch elitist on those issues?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Re: Religion and Guns in small-town America

Originally posted by Colon™
    Huh?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

?????
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I'm guessing this is some swipe at Hillary?

But the "haven't been to church since Easter" thing probably wouldn't apply to her (say what you want about her, she's pretty damned religious).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I passed on an AR15 for $100 today. Good shape too.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Yeah, I would expect that when she isn't on the campaign trail that she goes to church every week. She is apparently one of the more religious of the senators.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Let me get this straight. Somebody who hasn't been to church since Easter and probably hasn't shot a gun once in her adult life gets to take pot shots at the out-of-touch elitist on those issues?
              She's a ****ing hag *****. What do you expect?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dan, please stay faithful to urban, cosmopolitan values.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Dan, you can always be counted on to buy into the manufactured controversies.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    I'm guessing this is some swipe at Hillary?

But the "haven't been to church since Easter" thing probably wouldn't apply to her (say what you want about her, she's pretty damned religious).
                    No Obama made a brief comment about some people being to into guns and religion and now the right wing is attempting to claim Obama is a elitist who hates the common man. It's all just a crock.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I shoulda bought it.

No! You were right! What's the chance that you'll need it before you retire?

Pretty slim, but if I do need it, there's no excuse!

Ehh, forget it!

I hate you.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

No Obama made a brief comment about some people being to into guns and religion and now the right wing is attempting to claim Obama is a elitist who hates the common man. It's all just a crock.
                        Who said he "hates the common man" ? From what I've seen, they are arguing that it makes him out of touch with small town America, not that he hates it. Then again, I'm not hanging around right wing blogs.

Comment

Dan's swipe is at Hillary, and it's well-deserved.

Say what you will about Obama, he hasn't denied what he said, said he meant something different, or used the dreaded "I misspoke" excuse. All he's said about his own gun gaffe is, "I could have said it better than I did," which is undeniable.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Excuse me, dork, but it's Ms. Clinton causing the fuss.
                            Decide which side you're on. It's tough, isn't it?
                            Unless you're saying she's right wing, which makes you a total dumbass.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

For the record, here's the quote:

You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Comment

Working...
                              X