No announcement yet.

Religion and Guns in small-town America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite democrats tend to know what's best for everyone, which is quite frankly annoying. Republicans likewise do as well, but they just aren't as obnoxious about it, right now anyway, they've been pretty humbled-I'm sure the religious right will rear up again in the future.

I'd rather someone be in office who doesn't think they can fix all of society by implementing programs for this and that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc
      Bush won by painting his opponents as being arrogant and out of touch with the common man not by denigrating intellectuals. Exactly what this threatens to do to Obama if it sticks.

The GOP have been equating intellectualism with being arrogant and elite for a long time, DD, and you know that.

Why drives me totally bat**** is that the media is complicit in this. My mail arrived a few minutes ago, and I start reading my Newsweek. The first big article is subtitled (emphasis added): "Obama says he knows the globe better than his rivals. Does he know it too well?"

Jesus titty-****ing Christ!
      Last edited by Guynemer; April 15, 2008, 15:30.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Complicit.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Thanks.

Comment

• The anti-intellectual thing is pervasive in American society. It was not created by the Republican party. They may have used it from time to time, though.

If you are a politician, and you have brains, you avoid saying arrogant things that will trigger the "huh, he thinks he's smarter'n'me, does he?! Well screw you, Mr. smartypants!" response.

Nobody likes being told they're stupid. It doesn't matter whether or not they are, in fact, stupid (in this case, I think Obama was both arrogant *and* wrong).

If the Dems think their policies are better for the working class (however you want to define it) than the Republicans are, they ought to refer to examples of their superior governance. If they cannot find compelling examples, they may want to consider why.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

White: yes. Bitter: no.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• You're starting to sound like a commie terrorist, Guy. I bet you don't own a gun and only have two or three American flags.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                  Nobody likes being told they're stupid. It doesn't matter whether or not they are, in fact, stupid
                  Demonstrated time and time again in the physics threads.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo
                    Having a father who was Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Command (and a grandfather who was also an Admiral), and being married to a rich heiress means that you're not part of the elite.
                    This is why you see in all the puff pieces the fact that McCain turned down special treatment while interned in the Hanoi Hilton. And it's why you see stories about his son, who is enlisted in the Marines.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                      You're starting to sound like a commie terrorist, Guy. I bet you don't own a gun
                      I don't, but Galnemer does.

and only have two or three American flags.

Nary a one. But I do have Canadian flag boxers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer

The GOP have been equating intellectualism with being arrogant and elite for a long time, DD, and you know that.
                        Nope. Conservatives have for many years been castigated as out of touch intellectuals, case and point Bill Buckley to a certain extent George Will, Krauthammer etc.

Why drives me totally bat**** is that the media is complicent in this. My mail arrived a few minutes ago, and I start reading my Newsweek. The first big article is subtitled (emphasis added): "Obama says he knows the globe better than his rivals. Does he know it too well?"

Jesus titty-****ing Christ!
                        Are you ****ting me? Newsweek pumps up and affirms Obama world stage credentials (given the fact that his resume is so sparse in the area) and your going to ***** about it rather than see it for the denigration it actually is to the likes of real experience of his rivals, McCain and Clinton.

Hell how much water can Newsweek carry for the revered holy one?
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• KrazyHorse for president.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                            Are you ****ting me?
                            Just play along. As a self-identified intellectual (in Buckeye country), it's part of Guy's persecution complex.

Comment

• I'm not ****ting anyone.

"Does he know it too well?" What the hell is that supposed to mean? How on Earth can a Presidental candidate know the world "too well"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                                The anti-intellectual thing is pervasive in American society. It was not created by the Republican party. They may have used it from time to time, though.
                                Hard to say where it started but my money is on the populist movement with Andrew Jackson (Dem).
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X