Polytoners from Atlanta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wezil

A major grocery store can often be found at our malls. Usually one of the "anchor" stores for the mall.
    Sometimes true here also (though not normally true in indoor malls, more often in 'strip malls', ie a bunch of stores all sharing a parking lot but no internal connections); but how many malls do you have in the middle of Toronto or Montreal? We actually have a lot of malls in the middle of Chicago, but they're single building high-rise malls that cover maybe 20,000 sq meters of space, but go up 7 or 8 floors, and so not much room for grocery (and still, very expensive land, so only high-end grocery).

Still, I think the level of grocery coverage isn't that bad in Chicago, don't know Atlanta of course, but we have one at 1.5 miles south of the center, one at just north of the center, one at 1/2 mi north of the center, another at 3/4 mi north of the center, and that's just the lake-ish area (I don't know west very well); and the area from (center) to (1 mi south of center) is non-residential (that's the sears tower area, all financial office buildings and such). A grocery store every 1/2 mi or so isn't bad at all IMO...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

See? Your infrastructure is clan like African society. In the center you place the fat man who is the leader of the clan. He doesn't make his own phone calls, he has people running his messages, just like in the Goodfellows. So then everyone who is the friend of the fat man gets to live next to him, beause it's right in the center so you don't have to move. The others? Too bad. The water pump is vital, but you have to walk a whole long way to get there and back. But you still need to be there every day. But that's OK, because the chief is so important to everyone, because he's a fat man who can't do anything. That's why he is precious.

So the fat man decides what is been built and where, and that's how you get Detroit. But of course the villagers are optimists, because if they weren't, they'd have to kill themselves so they choose to believe in the fat man even when they have to walk great distances to get water. Why? Because thanks to the fat man, they HAVE a water pump, right? And they have the right to walk so why not put them legs on a good use so they won't become like the fat man.

The optimism of villagers is perhaps the greatest placebo of all times. I mean look at it. From all the abandoned huts and stuff that went belly up because everything was screwed to begin with, well there's all kinds of interesting youth cultures coming up. All kinds of music and styles of dancing and not forget, all the latest designer drugs end up there to spread the spirit of creativity. In fact we should remove all water pumps to see just how creative the natives will get.

And just like Detroit, you recieve wealth not seen in society before amongst the working villagers. Now they can not only not buy groceries nearby, now they can go back to their own huts and not do anything. They can continue to not meet people, to not hang out outside or to say the drug crazed nude dancing is the work of the devil. I mean why would you ever spend money to make your environment nice and fun? There's no point in that. We can play monopoly with rocks in our huts or we can eat sand. We just need more megahuts so we can not go there and see it being demolished in the next decade. We like megahuts
      Last edited by Pekka; March 24, 2008, 10:21.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yup, Pekka nailed it.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Stop being such a whiner:

That's 3 Publix's, 1 Kroger, and 2 Whole Foods' within 2 miles from Lindbergh Station.
          Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; March 24, 2008, 10:26.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

2 miles? Dude, that's a joke, it's supposed to be a modern city. 2 miles?!?!?!? Well then again, I could get a bike. Do you have parking for bikes, or are they too gay?

I can whine about your ancient infrastructure if I want to, because you guys whine about walking the stairs in Europe because not everyone builds an escalator to move 5 meters upwards and install embedded screens all over that escalator trip so you'll never miss Kramer getting a heart attack about a stock no one cares about.

Graaaaaahh!!!!!! I want my groceries You are savages.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I have two supermarkets within 5 minutes walking and a third one coming soon. Pekka has every right to whine.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Yeah, you know modern cities, where there isn't enough room to build mega supermarkets in densely populated areas .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Colon, I have 3! One of them is very big as well. I mean milk and bread, you realize I can get that from gas stations in here, right? I don't want to shop at Exxon and eat hungry man every morning.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Yeah, you know modern cities, where there isn't enough room to build mega supermarkets in densely populated areas .

Comment

I don't get it either. With that logic, there should be nothing but office areas in the city. Why don't we start making business centers and downtown areas separately, where the downtown area is like nice and the business center is the logistical dream of business?

There are nice cities in the US, NYC is nice, Portland is nice, SF is nice... but LA sucks ass, it's horrible, it's like the anti-Christ of cities.

But still, groceries, come on. Everyone needs them.
                      In da butt.

Comment

What if I don't have a car, what if I'm old or a kid or disabled?? "Get someone to drive you" ??
                        In da butt.

Comment

You realize the situation of groceries in NYC is worse right? Corner markets are where you'd normally go in Manhattan.

I have two supermarkets within 5 minutes walking and a third one coming soon.

Americans tend not to walk a lot of places. And as far as cities go, Atlanta is a VERY pro-car one. There aren't even all that many sidewalks in some places.

So, yes, all those supermarkets are 5 minutes away... just by car, which is how 90%+ of Americans go to the market.

Comment

Yeah but NYC has an excuse.
                            In da butt.

Comment

In the US it is assumed you have a car or easy access to one.

Unless you live in, say, Manhattan.

Comment

That's why Manhattan is cool and Atlanta is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X