A Right to die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heraclitus

No, but I do think that fewer diseases that are not profitable to cure will be cured.

That really doesn't make any sense at all. Of course people are still going to try to cure people. Just because someone kills themselves doesn't mean the disease isn't bad.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

She probably wants to have some pills to get it pain-free which doesn't strike me as a particular weird idea from her perspective. And the problem in general isn't only about her.

That said, this is one of the issues where I am just fine with the fact that I don't have to decide on it
      You do have to have an opinion on it though.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

You're right that it would be best to find a treatment to the disease, but how would you feel if it was you?
        If I was in her spot?

Depression is a sickness, and that's the real problem here. She doesn't see the world the way the rest of us do.

People can learn to live with chronic conditions or disability, provided they don't also suffer from depression. It's the depression that gets people to think that they would be better off dead then alive.

I'd probably feel the same as she does, that suicide would be a way out, but I'd not be asking for someone else to kill me. I'd also be very very wrong to think that, especially when there is effective treatment for depression.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          The only reservation I have about voluntary euthanasia is if someone has kids/dependents.
          QFT

If it weren't for teh kids, euthanase away!
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

That really doesn't make any sense at all. Of course people are still going to try to cure people. Just because someone kills themselves doesn't mean the disease isn't bad.

Fewer people suffering = less altruistic motivation

I will admit altruistic motivation is in very short supply when it comes to curing diseases

But the following is true as well

Fewer people suffering from aliment =smaller pressure group
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Fewer people suffering = less altruistic motivation
              So you are against aspirin too? OMG painkillers are causeing suffering!

Comment

There are many people in institutional care who are wards of the state. It's cheaper to just kill them rather then take care of them and attempt to treat them.

As Heraclitus said, it removes the impetus to find a cure, if there is a cheaper and simpler solution in the short run.

This is why I have a problem with euthanasia, and in places where it is legal, you are already seeing this happen. The right to die eventually becomes the duty to die and to stop being a burden on other people.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

DD would prefer suicides to be as messy and with as much collateral damage as possible.
                  To discourage taxpayers from employing them, and to put pressure on people to try to reduce the causes for suicide.

Comment

You do have to have an opinion on it though.
                    Not a decidedly pro or contra one, no. I can very well afford that luxury here

Thing is I agree with much of the contra stuff, but in individual cases like this I can understand the pro side as well. But maybe this thread brings me to a clear POV. Poly threads change people's opinions all the time
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                      This is why I have a problem with euthanasia, and in places where it is legal, you are already seeing this happen. The right to die eventually becomes the duty to die and to stop being a burden on other people.
                      Cite plsthx.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

xp

Comment

Another disturbing statistic that is found consistently in studies into Dutch euthanasia practices demonstrates to opponents the ultimate danger of euthanasia: approximately one thousand Dutch patients are euthanized each year by their doctors "without request or consent," in other words, involuntary or nonvoluntary euthanasia. Since euthanasia is only supposed to be allowed for people who consistently ask to be killed, the fact of involuntary killing demonstrates the unworkability of guidelines. Proponents counter that the number, while too high, has been relatively constant over several years, thus belying fears of the slippery slope.
                          Pediatric euthanasia has also become a part of Dutch euthanasia practice. Opponents point with alarm to a 1997 study published in the British medical journal The Lancet indicating that about 8 percent of all infants who die in the Netherlands are euthanized—approximately 80 per year. Pediatric euthanasia, they claim, is a human rights abuse and a proof that guidelines do not protect vulnerable patients. Proponents counter this criticism with the defense that the infant-euthanasia deaths are only of the most severely impaired babies, most of whom would not live anyway, and note that the parents make the decision based on their judgment of what is best for their children.
                          Opponents also claim that Dutch euthanasia is "beyond significant control" since approximately 59 percent of euthanasia and assisted suicide deaths are not reported to the coroner as required by the guidelines. Thus, they claim that the actual number of Dutch patients killed is probably far higher than the statistics seem to show. Proponents admit that unreported euthanasia deaths are a problem but counter that full legalization would remove fear of prosecution thereby increasing compliance with reporting requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            Depression is a sickness, and that's the real problem here.
                            She's depressed because kids run away from her when they see her. That's different from suffering from depression. You seem almost as insensitive as DD in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

So you are against aspirin too? OMG painkillers are causeing suffering!
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

nm
                                What?

Comment

Working...
                                X