No announcement yet.

William F. Buckley Jr. Is Dead at 82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me after you've founded a magazine, hosted a long-running TV show and written 45 books.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Whooooo?
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Before your time. His peak was in the last sixties and seventies.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

We can't hear you over the sound of how awesome he is.
          QFMFT!
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Buckley was at least consistent in his views. He'd condemn Republicans just as often as Democrats.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I had a US history course, the very last one I took in my degree.

They had writings of 8 different liberal authors and 1 of Mr. Buckley.

The true measure of his worth is that the only article where portions were censored (the textbook actually blacked them out! was Mr. Buckley).

There must be something to your words if they would try to hide them from other people.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

To critics of Buckley, I would note that the Right is much worse to your views for losing Buckley. He was a very realistic person, who viewed the Iraq war as a failure that needed to be acknowledged as such, and generally opposed the religious right on many things (such as drug legalization, as mentioned above).
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Here's the intro to the article linked to by Snoop. It'll help those saying WFT is he?

William Frank Buckley, Jr. (November 24, 1925 – February 27, 2008) was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley's primary intellectual achievement was to fuse traditional American political conservatism with libertarianism, laying the groundwork for the modern American conservatism of U.S. Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater and U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

Buckley was the author of a series of novels featuring the character of CIA agent Blackford Oakes, along with dozens of other books on writing, speaking, history, politics and sailing. Buckley referred to himself "on and off" as either libertarian or conservative.[3][4] He was based in New York City and Stamford, Connecticut, and often signed his name as "WFB." He was a practicing Roman Catholic, often attending the traditional Latin Mass in Connecticut.
                  I should read some of his novels. I'd bet they're good.

Comment

I read one of the novels, it was sort of okay, nothing spectacular. He's a good writer, but not necessarily a novelist
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

They are.

I don't agree with him on everything, but he was conservative when it wasn't cool to be a conservative.

Unlike today when all the young whippersnappers are taking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                        ...Unlike today when all the young whippersnappers are taking it up.
                        That is, until the rise of teh Obama.

Comment

Ah yes, the YAF. Turning good, election oriented College Republicans into debate groups. Fun.

One good thing, the man knew how to formulate a base.

Comment

Let's not all get weepy eyed about how great WFB was since much of time he was on the wrong side.

Originally Posted by WFB, 1957
                            The central question that emerges—and it is not a parliamentary question or a question that is answered by merely consulting a catalog of the rights of American citizens, born Equal— is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas in which it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes—the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race.
                            Last edited by Dinner; February 28, 2008, 02:47.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

and in 1960 I said goo goo gaga

RIP Bill

I enjoyed watching your debate shows

Maybe we will see a revival of his old shows

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Let's not all get weepy eyed about how great WFB was since much of time he was on the wrong side.
                                That's a funny definition of awesome, DD
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X