Let's List the Most Misused Words in the English Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiglaf
    The idea is that it's sarcastic. Whereas I couldn't care less is literal.
    Not figurative?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It could also mean "I could care less, and I'm going to!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Not figurative?
        Yeah, ironic isn't it?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          The idea is that it's sarcastic. Whereas I couldn't care less is literal. Usually you are trying to be a douchebag when you say either, so it makes at least some sense that it could be sarcastic in context.
          The trouble is that most people who say it aren't bright enough or educated enough to even get the sarcasm right.

That sort of person is simply a grammatically challenged douchebag.
          The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
          "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
          "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
          The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Racist.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

My roommates loves using "utilize" in an attempt to make himself sound smarter. It doesn't.

Comment

Dependant/dependent winds me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader

I guess we need a "war on war".
                  Didn't we have one of those? Oh, wait... That was the war to end all wars.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                    Dependant/dependent winds me up.
                    You have a wife and kids already?
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I don't have a word, but an expression:

"To beg the question", which means "to assume the truth of the thing that is to be proved". A lot of people seem to think that it means "to raise the question" or "invite the obvious question"
                      Last edited by Nostromo; February 27, 2008, 18:35.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Both are actually acceptable uses of the phrase today.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

AFAIK, the second sense is still disputed, even though it makes more sense. In French, we say pétition de principe, which comes directly from the Latin petitio principii, which is a lot clearer than "begging the question"
                          Last edited by Nostromo; February 27, 2008, 18:40.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                            I don't have a word, but an expression:

"To beg the question", which means "to assume the truth of the thing that is to be proved". A lot of people seem to think that it means "to raise the question" or "invite the obvious question"
                            This is absurd.

Comment

It means throwing (would have to be a baby or small child) under a yellow multi-passenger vehicle, not putting the blame on someone else.
                              It's became an idiom.

I seriously doubt a brownnoser really has a brown nose.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

How about "of". As in "I should of complained about the guy's overuse of 'teh'."
                                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                                X