Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too early to talk of V.P. choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The right doesn't have any strong feelings about Obama and would probably just tune it out and stay home.

Yet. Obama's rhetoric is far more progressive than Kerry's was in 2004 or Gore's was in 2000. That will come out as soon as the general election begins if Obama is the candidate.

Having a conservative would solidify that. But Huckabee isn't conservative enough on issues like taxes. McCain really should think about some Southern governor.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That has me puzzled. Why, if Clinton is so unliked, is she winning? Do the dems really think she's THAT viable as a candidate?
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

On the Dem side, I doubt you'll see a Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton ticket.

Obama-Richardson would be a good idea. Richardson brings a lot of experience to the table and could give him a boost with Hispanic voters that haven't backed him at all in the primary yet. Then again maybe a Black-Hispanic ticket might be a bit too much for folks. Who knows.

As for Clinton... I think 2004 Edwards would have been a good pick, but definitely not 2008 Edwards.

I think either of them would want to pick a Governor. No doubt a southern(ish) white male governor. Warner comes to mind.

No way would anyone pick Gore. It would be even less likely that Gore would accept becoming VP again.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
          What does McCain gain from choosing a liberal non-Republican to be his Veep in your opinion? How does that balance the ticket or ease the party's concerns about him?
          It cements the center, where elections are usually won. And it gets McCain financial-business credibility, an area in which he's weak.

And to me honest, I was thinking of me. I'm not fond of Hillary, and if she ends up running against McCain, there's a good chance I'd vote for him--but not if he's running paired up with a right-wing wacko as his VP.
          Last edited by Zkribbler; February 6, 2008, 15:21.

Comment

I think either of them would want to pick a Governor. No doubt a southern(ish) white male governor. Warner comes to mind.

Warner would actually be a perfect candidate. And he could use that as a future springboard to a Presidency.

There are, big rumblings, that Clinton may go for Wesley Clark. There was also talk of Clinton-Richardson, since Richardson is a huge friend of the Clintons, but Clinton seems to already have massive support from hispanics.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Obama-Richardson would be a good idea. Richardson brings a lot of experience to the table and could give him a boost with Hispanic voters that haven't backed him at all in the primary yet. Then again maybe a Black-Hispanic ticket might be a bit too much for folks. Who knows.

Richardson was very heavily involved with the Clintons. And is he well known for "change", which is what Obama appears to be running on?

Comment

I don't expect Richardson to endorse Obama during the primary, but if he had everything wrapped up Richardson wouldn't be choosing between his Clinton loyalties and Obama, he'd be doing the right thing for the party. He might not be known for "change" but Obama has the charisma, dynamic side of the ticket covered. He needs to balance it out and Richardson would do a good job with that. Plus he is a governor.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  Why does McCain need a conservative? If he's running against Hillary, won't he get to take teh red states anyway, and be looking to get a lot of teh moderates and semi-liberals who hate Hillary?
                  QFT. McCain-Bloomberg would be a strong choice.

Comment

Is Schwarzenegger allowed to be VP?
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Warner would actually be a perfect candidate. And he could use that as a future springboard to a Presidency.
                      Except that he's running for VA Senator, and if he drops out that spot is almost guaranteed to stay Republican.

The Dems need that Senate seat much more than they need Warner as VP.

Comment

Richardson is actually one of my favorite candidates this time through.
                        Too bad he never got a fair shake in the fight for media attention.
                        And sadly, he's a bad fit as VP for the Dems. They don't need more Hispanic support, and he's pretty progressive. They need someone with a strong military background IMO.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

It is absolutely going to be McCain-Huckabee. On the Democratic side, if Obama wins, my guess is either Obama-Sibelius, or Obama-Kaine. If it's Clinton, I could see Clinton-Richardson, or even Clinton-Clarke, but that side of things is less clear to me. Warner is definitely staying on course for picking up the Senate seat.
                          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Wes Clark would be a bad pick. I had a prof who worked with him and said he was a total flake.
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                              Wes Clark would be a bad pick. I had a prof who worked with him and said he was a total flake.
                              Its for VP. No one cares if its a flake. Look at Dan Quayle.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Its for website owner/administrator. No one cares if its a flake. Look at Dan Quick.
                                QFT
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X