Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want you to have my organs, but you can't have 'em

Sexually active gay men no longer allowed to donate organs

A number of organ donation groups said Monday that they are unaware of new Health Canada regulations that mean sexually active gay men, injection drug users and other groups considered high risk will no longer be accepted as organ donors.

The new rules, which came into effect in December, are similar to the regulations for determining who can donate blood. Those rules exclude groups that are at high risk of transmitting infectious diseases such as HIV and hepatitis C and B.

Dr. Gary Levy, who heads Canada's largest organ transplant program at Toronto's University Health Network, said he was unaware of the new policy on organ donations.Dr. Gary Levy, who heads Canada's largest organ transplant program at Toronto's University Health Network, said he was unaware of the new policy on organ donations.
    (CBC)

Officials at several transplant programs in the country said because they were unaware of the new regulations, they would continue to consider all potential donor organs.

"We have not been informed, first of all, that Health Canada is considering this," said Dr. Gary Levy, who heads Canada's largest organ transplant program at Toronto's University Health Network. "Obviously if Health Canada wishes to discuss that, we would hope they would engage all stakeholders."

Dr. Peter Nickerson, director of Transplant Manitoba, which procures organs in that province, said transplant programs must now by law interview family members of the donor as part of the screening process.

"We'll be asking about things like travel, history of infectious disease, whether they've [donors] been in jail — that puts you at increased risk," Nickerson said. "Have they been an IV drug abuser in the past? Have they had tattoos? There's a whole list of questions we go through."

They are also asked about the donor's sexual orientation. The donor will be excluded if the donor is a man who had sex with another man in the previous five years.

Health Canada had contracted the Canadian Standards Association in 2003 to come up with standardized guidelines to ensure the safety of the organ donation system.

Transplant programs have been screening potential donors, but in some cases use organs from people in high-risk groups if they've tested negative for diseases. The new legislation means that practice must stop.

A spokeswoman for Health Canada confirmed the new regulations in an e-mail, but the department didn't make anyone available to explain the changes.
    Focus should be on behaviour: gay activist

Levy said organ donors shouldn't be held to the same high standards as blood donors because the stakes for the organ recipient are higher.

"Organ donation and the opportunity to save a life at a specific time — we have no substitute therapies," Levy said.

Levy estimates that out of 100 organ donors at his Toronto hospital every year, about seven will be rejected because of the new regulations. About 4,000 Canadians are waiting for an organ transplant.

Some in the gay community complained that the new policy is wrong-headed and that Health Canada should focus on risky sexual behaviours, not sexual orientation.

"I think it's more of an issue of anal sex, anal intercourse, than it is to do with whether someone is gay or straight," said Dean Robinson, a gay activist.

Wow, so many people desperate for organs and they're rejecting organs just 'cause someone's gay.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Devil's advocate.

What % of organs later found to be problematic, are from people in these "threat groups"?

What % of people in the "threat groups" donate organs?

What % of total organ donations, are from those in the threat group?

How difficult it is to screen organs?

How much testing is required to screenthem?

What % of the organs slip through screening and testing, even though they are positive for some disease?

I doubt any of the above questions really work in favor towards the policy quoted in the OP though, though those are the only really justifiable reasons.

Comment

Canadians hate gay people. homophobes!
      "'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
      'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

I certainly don't want a gay man's organ in me

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
          Devil's advocate.

What % of organs later found to be problematic, are from people in these "threat groups"?

How difficult it is to screen organs?

How much testing ir requiredto screenthem?

What % of the organs slip through screening and testing, even though they are positive for some disease?

I doubt any of the above questions really work in favor towards the policy quoted in the OP though, though those are the only really justifiable reasons.
          I'm confused because every organ needs to be tested and screened anyway. Same with blood. I don't see why this makes a difference, especially when organs are always in desperate need.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher, should they be able to donate blood too?

Really, it ain't about the rights of the donor but about the rights of the recipient.

The last thing we should be worrying about are hurt feelings of those who can't donate.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Perhaps They are admitting that they can no longer afford to screen every organ. Or that the gain in usable organs from higher risk groups doesn't justify the expense of testing and having to reject the bad ones.

Comment

Screening is not perfect.

It is HYPOTHETICALLY possible that from a cost/benifit/risk analysis, it is most efficient to simply not accept organs from certain groups. I have trouble seeing how that could be the case though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  Asher, should they be able to donate blood too?

Really, it ain't about the rights of the donor but about the rights of the recipient.

The last thing we should be worrying about are hurt feelings of those who can't donate.
                  All blood is screened.

Blood is less of a big deal, but organs are always in very short supply so you're right -- we should be concerned with the rights of the recipient here. How about their life, for starters.

Comment

I'm confused because every organ needs to be tested and screened anyway. Same with blood. I don't see why this makes a difference, especially when organs are always in desperate need.
                    As is blood, but we still had tainted blood in the system that caused many problems. Have you forgotten about that Asher? Why take unnecessary risks when people's lives are at stake?

Again, if they rejected me because I didn't meet their standards, that would be a real shame, but I wouldn't go and cry about it.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Because it costs money to screen organs. That is why they have questionnaires designed to weed out high risk groups.
                      Or am I right and Canadians just hate gay people?
                      "'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
                      'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                        Screening is not perfect.

It is HYPOTHETICALLY possible that from a cost/benifit/risk analysis, it is most efficient to simply not accept organs from certain groups. I have trouble seeing how that could be the case though.
                        Why are we even repeatedly discussing this. There are ALWAYS shortages of organs for MANY reasons. ALWAYS.

Cost/benefit/risk analysis is stupid when so many people die waiting for organs for transplant.

The fact that "screening is not perfect" is also ridiculous. With organs being overly picky with general rules is deadly. I'm a gay man, sexually monogamous for 4.5 years, but I can't give blood or donate my organs (I did fill out my donor card), while some whore can.

Comment

As is blood, but we still had tainted blood in the system that caused many problems. Have you forgotten about that Asher?
                          Remind us all how that scandal occurred. For those unaware, like Ben, the blood was actually not screened and that's why the Red Cross was held accountable.

Why take unnecessary risks when people's lives are at stake?
                          Well, given the choice between waiting 5 years for a heart transplant and accepting the heart from a fit, healthy, sexually monogamous 24 year old man, I'd take the gay guy's heart.

Again, if they rejected me because I didn't meet their standards, that would be a real shame, but I wouldn't go and cry about it.
                          That's because you clearly don't care about the lives of people who desperately wait for organ transplants. That's what I'm pissed off about. I couldn't care less what happens to me when I die (I'll be dead!), which is why I thought someone who needs my organs to live could benefit from them.

Comment

Why take unnecessary risks when people's lives are at stake?
                            That presumes they are unnecessary risks, it might be the case that enough organs can't be procured elsewhere.

Edit: And what the other freak said.
                            APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Well, given the choice between waiting 5 years for a heart transplant and accepting the heart from a fit, healthy, sexually monogamous 24 year old man, I'd take the gay guy's heart.
                              Right, as if there are so many healthy gay men out there to have a significant impact on the overall shortage of organs out there.

It's a cost benefit analysis. The marginal benefit is less then the hassles associated. They would save themselves time and money by screening out folks automatically.

That's because you clearly don't care about the lives of people who desperately wait for organ transplants. That's what I'm pissed off about. I couldn't care less what happens to me when I die (I'll be dead!), which is why I thought someone who needs my organs to live could benefit from them.
                              Which is why I'm an organ donor. That's why I don't care about the people on the organ waiting list.

We don't play games with people's lives just because of other people's hurt feelings. Like I said, it's about the recipients not about the donors.

Comment

Working...
                              X