I welcome our new Russian Overlords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiki agrees with you:

Since January 1, 1979, Canada has had the special status of a Cooperating State with the ESA. By virtue of this accord, Canadian Space Agency takes part in ESA's deliberative bodies and decision-making and also in ESA's programmes and activities. Canadian firms can bid for and receive contracts to work on programmes. The accord has a provision ensuring a fair industrial return to Canada.

Comment

Russia.

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Is this one smaller than a brick?

A Russian GLONASS+GPS reciever and multimedia player for cars (~480$):

(the article is on Russian)
        http://www.cnews.ru/news/top/index.s...7/12/27/281698
        You can get cell phones with GPS in them here plus you've been able to order cars with the same sort of system for the last 10 years or so.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

And?
          You can get cell phones with GPS in them or cars with GPS navigator here, as well.
          But why another such system makes you laugh? Galileo doesn't work, yet. So there are only two such systems exist now: GPS and GLONASS. China is the third country of the world wich launched its own spaceman a couple of years ago (thanks to our tech, of course). Did you laugh when they launched their Taikoonaut (or whatever word they use for spaceman)? Do you think it's a laughable achievment?
          Last edited by Serb; December 29, 2007, 12:44.

Comment

According to the article GLONASS doesn't work either (yet).
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

Also, it has no internal battery, but weighs more than 400 grams. This means it runs on a lead-acid battery, just like I predicted.
              Who needs an internal battery in a car navigator? If you not suppose to use it as car navigator, just get a more compact version of the reciever. It is not designed as universal reciever you can take everywhere, it's designed to be used in your car. Who needs an internal battery in such device?
              Last edited by Serb; December 29, 2007, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                According to the article GLONASS doesn't work either (yet).
                That were the last three satellites to make it cover entire Russian territory. It was partially operational before. Now it's operational in Russia. When remaining 6 (iirc) satellites will be launched in the next year GLONASS will be fully operational and cover entire Earth surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
                  Russia.
                  Thanks for your valuable input!

Comment

Who needs an internal battery in a car navigator? If you not suppose to use it as car navigator, just get a more compact version of the reciever. It is not designed as universal reciever you can take everywhere, it's designed to be used in your car. Who needs an internal battery in such device?
                    I don't need a car navigator. I don't even have a car. Heck, I don't even need a navigator (I know our army does.), I use a map and the sun.
                    I just wanted to point out that this particular device is not that spectacular. It's heavy, there's a single map hardcoded in its software, it cannot be used to track Happy Putin's dog, and it needs an external aerial.
                    I'm sure, though, that in 2 years' time we'll see enough new devices that use both GPS and GLONASS, that can fit inside your mobile phone and don't even use the battery too much. And that are made in China, of course.
                    And GLONASS itself is cool.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Blah, such devices already exist. Just type ïðèåìíèê ÃËÎÍÀÑÑ â ÿíäåêñå.

Comment

Just type ïðèåìíèê ÃËÎÍÀÑÑ â ÿíäåêñå.
                        I can't - my keyboard doesn't have those keys
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Then try a "GLONASS receiver" in google.

Comment

Blah, such devices already exist. Just type ïðèåìíèê ÃËÎÍÀÑÑ â ÿíäåêñå.

Maybe my Yandex is different from yours? I see only specialized devices available for sale.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I don't need a car navigator. I don't even have a car.

How protected is Lada nowadays? Last I read they were still building ~1 000 000 cars a year so I assumed there were import tariffs in place to protect that production. What about other ex-soviet brands: Volga, Zaporozhie (?) and others. Still producing cars?

Comment

Originally posted by onodera

Maybe my Yandex is different from yours? I see only specialized devices available for sale.
                                Maybe.
                                ß îñîáî íå ðûëñÿ. Ïðîñòî âäîëáèë íàçâàíèå è ïîëó÷èë äî õðåíà âñÿêèõ êàðòèíîê.

Comment

Working...
                                X