I welcome our new Russian Overlords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I welcome our new Russian Overlords

Can you believe the tech ability of these guys?! I think Kruschev was right, Russia will bury us.

MOSCOW - Russia's satellite navigation system is still taking shape, but President Vladimir Putin already has a plan for how to use it: to keep tabs on his black labrador.

Putin on Monday listened to First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov as he briefed the cabinet on the development of GLONASS, the acronym for Global Navigation Satellite System. The Russian leader then asked, "When will I be able to buy the necessary equipment for my dog Koni so that she doesn't run too far?"

Ivanov responded that collars for dogs and cats with satellite-guided positioning equipment will be available for private consumers in the middle of next year.

GLONASS was developed during the Soviet times as a response to the U.S. Global Positioning System, or GPS.

The system originally had 24 satellites, but their number had dwindled after the 1991 Soviet collapse. Thanks to Russia's booming oil revenues, the government has earmarked funds to revive the system to its full strength and offer it to global consumers.

Ivanov said that a Russian booster rocket was set to put another three GLONASS satellites into orbit Tuesday, bringing their total number to 18 - the number necessary to provide navigation services over the entire Russian territory.

Ivanov said that the system would be available worldwide by 2010, for which it would need to have 24 satellites.

First they'll track dogs and then who knows what? Vehicles, people, weather, etc. Truly impressive. I wonder why no one else thought of this?

Rumour has it the first 1000 GLONASS customers will recieve a free hula hoop.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

I don't welcome any Russian overlords, we've had bad experience with them ;(

And for a more serious note, being the Duchy of Finland was necessarily not a bad thing... Winter & Continuation War were not so cool

Comment

Lies!

BS
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
        Lies!

BS
        No hula hoop for you.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD
          I don't welcome any Russian overlords, we've had bad experience with them ;(
          Don't worry. It will be 2010 before they can cover their own territory. Finland is the project for the next century.

Comment

well accuracy of about 50m... while still useful, and good to have a third option, it is quite a bit worse than current GPS and not even comparable with Galileo

galileo:

The encrypted Commercial Service (CS) will be available for a fee and will offer an accuracy of better than 1 m. The CS can also be complemented by ground stations to bring the accuracy down to less than 10 cm. This signal will be broadcast in three frequency bands, the two used for the OS signals, as well as at 1260–1300 MHz.

however - having a choice is good
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
              well accuracy of about 50m... while still useful, and good to have a third option, it is quite a bit worse than current GPS and not even comparable with Galileo
              Are you saying the Russian product is inferior?! How dare you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Are you saying the Russian product is inferior?! How dare you.
                Reminds me of a joke about Russian Ass Buzzer -- does not fit in the ass, and does not buzz.. otherwise works as intented

Comment

What is an ass buzzer?

Comment

Dildo with a motor.

Comment

Better 30 year late then never.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thread needs more Russian reversals.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          What is an ass buzzer?
                          Sounds kind of kinky.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Now all we need are some GLONASS receivers. Preferrably some that are smaller than a brick and don't run on 220V AC or at least lead-acid batteries.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I bet a company in the US could make them

(or at least subcontract it out to its East Asian suppliers )

Comment

Working...
                              X