America's Holy Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Holy Highway

So the religious fanatics are at it again.

This time, they say that I-35, a highway running through the US Midwest, is actually a fulfillment of a prophecy in Isaiah 35 (though why God would care about an American interstate enough to reveal it to a 8th century BC Hebrew is beyond me).

Apparently some minister lady was reading in Isaiah 35 about a highway, and made some sort of connection in her head that her own I-35 had to be the one in the scripture.

You should have seen the segment on Anderson Cooper's show. It was kind of scary watching the people clustered on the side of the road shouting at Jesus to "Bless this holy highway, Lord!"

And Pat Robertson endorsed the movement too. Nuts.

DALLAS, Texas (CNN) -- If you turn to the Bible -- Isaiah Chapter 35, Verse 8 -- you will see a passage that in part says, "A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness."

Now, is it possible that this "highway" mentioned in Chapter 35 is actually Interstate 35 that runs through six U.S. states, from southern Texas to northern Minnesota? Some Christians have faith that is indeed the case.

It was with that interesting belief in mind that we decided to head to Texas, the southernmost state in the I-35 corridor, to do a story about a prayer campaign called "Light the Highway."

Churchgoers in all six states recently finished 35 days of praying alongside Interstate 35, but the prayers are still continuing.

Some of the faithful believe that in order to fulfill the prophecy of I-35 being the "holy" highway, it needs some intensive prayer first. So we watched as about 25 fervent and enthusiastic Christians prayed on the the interstate's shoulder in Dallas.

They chanted loudly and vibrantly, making many people in the neighborhood wonder what was going on. They prayed that adult businesses along the corridor would "see the light" and perhaps close down.

They prayed for safety and freedom from crime for people who lived along the interstate. They prayed that all Americans would accept Jesus into their lives. VideoWatch believers offer prayers »

The woman who came up with the concept of "Light the Highway" is a Texas minister named Cindy Jacobs.

She says she can't be sure Interstate 35 really is what is mentioned in the Bible but says she received a revelation to start this campaign after "once again reading Isaiah, Chapter 35."

Jacobs also points out that perhaps there is a link between the area near this highway and tragedies that have happened in history, such as the bridge collapse on I-35 in Minneapolis last August and the assassination of JFK 44 years ago near I-35 in Dallas. That's why prayer certainly can't hurt, she adds.

Now, it's only fair to say most people, the religious and the non-religious alike, don't buy any of this, but none more than the owners of some of the adult businesses along I-35.

At an adult go-go club, the owner tells us he resents people trying to impose their will on others. And he says his club holds fundraisers, food drives and toy drives to help the community.

But on the side of the road, the prayerful aren't going to change their minds. Holy highways and nude clubs, they believe, are not a combination God has in mind.
    If you turn to the Bible -- Isaiah Chapter 35, Verse 8 -- you will see a passage that in part says, "A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness."
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Here's a link to a video showing the madness:

If you turn to the Bible -- Isaiah Chapter 35, Verse 8 -- you will see a passage that in part says, "A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness."
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

First I've heard of it. What denomination ?
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Holy highways and nude clubs, they believe, are not a combination God has in mind.
        If the Good Lord would have wanted us to be nude, we'd have been born that way!

Comment

That's addresed in Genesis.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I thought the Highway of Holiness referred to potholes, natch.

Comment

Re: America's Holy Highway

Originally posted by Alexander I
              So the religious fanatics are at it again.

This time, they say that I-35, a highway running through the US Midwest, is actually a fulfillment of a prophecy in Isaiah 35 (though why God would care about an American interstate enough to reveal it to a 8th century BC Hebrew is beyond me).
              They believe that everything about the Midwest is holy. It's the holy land and they are the chosen people. It's got it's pros and cons.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Isaiah
                Chapter 35

1 The desert and the parched land will exult; the steppe will rejoice and bloom.

2 They will bloom with abundant flowers, and rejoice with joyful song. The glory of Lebanon will be given to them, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; They will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God.

3 Strengthen the hands that are feeble, make firm the knees that are weak,

4 Say to those whose hearts are frightened: Be strong, fear not! Here is your God, he comes with vindication; With divine recompense he comes to save you.

5 Then will the eyes of the blind be opened, the ears of the deaf be cleared;

6 Then will the lame leap like a stag, then the tongue of the dumb will sing. Streams will burst forth in the desert, and rivers in the steppe.

7 The burning sands will become pools, and the thirsty ground, springs of water; The abode where jackals lurk will be a marsh for the reed and papyrus.

8 A highway will be there, called the holy way; No one unclean may pass over it, nor fools go astray on it.

9 No lion will be there, nor beast of prey go up to be met upon it. It is for those with a journey to make, and on it the redeemed will walk.

10 Those whom the LORD has ransomed will return and enter Zion singing, crowned with everlasting joy; They will meet with joy and gladness, sorrow and mourning will flee.

Comment

Somebody needs to help those people. Jesus, God, Allah, Darwin, whoever...those freaks are ****ed up and need help.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I wish they would build a holy transportation system and some blessed sidewalks.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Don't worry, eventually, after a few thousand years, the possible prophecies will have been exhausted.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                        Don't worry, eventually, after a few thousand years, the possible prophecies will have been exhausted.
                        Dammit, Uncle B! You just added another prophecy to the list!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          First I've heard of it. What denomination ?
                          Moron.
                          B♭3

Comment

Wasn't I-35 supposed to be the NAFTA Corridor, the harbinger of North American political consolidation?

One idiocy at a time, please!
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Can I make route 666 the satanic highway?

I think they renamed the highway after protests though . I actually drove on route 666. It was a very spiritual experience. I just wish I could have stole a road sign. Actually I think that's why they renamed it. People kept stealing road signs.

Comment

Working...
                              X