CBS News Report on U.S. Military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious

I read your dang posts dude. I think it's stupid. You don't need to explain it over again to me.
    What is stupid about gaining economic or educational opportunities?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• What is stupid about gaining economic or educational opportunities?
      I think it is more basic than that Mr. Fun. I think it really is just a desire to serve their country. Even if the country doesn't treat them as equals in every way, most still lead successful and happy lives that few other places can provide them. And equal or not, America is still their home, it is where their family and freinds are.

Not to mention the military is a unique enviroment where you really can prove yourself equal in any capacity you choose. Even the most ardent homophobe will be reluctant to insinuate you are inferior after a successful military career (see that General on the YouTube debates).
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos

I think it is more basic than that Mr. Fun. I think it really is just a desire to serve their country. Even if the country doesn't treat them as equals in every way, most still lead successful and happy lives that few other places can provide them. And equal or not, America is still their home, it is where their family and freinds are.

Not to mention the military is a unique enviroment where you really can prove yourself equal in any capacity you choose. Even the most ardent homophobe will be reluctant to insinuate you are inferior after a successful military career (see that General on the YouTube debates).
        You're right; the desire to serve one's own country in of itself can be a sufficient motivation in addition to economic or educational opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
          What is stupid about gaining economic or educational opportunities?
          Because you don't have to join the military to go to college.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Because you don't have to join the military to go to college.

But the U.S. military provides some very lucrative financing packages. But you are good at pointing out the obvious, such as, that there are other ways to finance a college education.

Comment

What a shame that the US Army has been reduced to its current state of wretchedness.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun

But the U.S. military provides some very lucrative financing packages. But you are good at pointing out the obvious, such as, that there are other ways to finance a college education.
                Yes, I know, but you are basically their ***** for as long as you signed up for one. Two you might get killed. There are probably other very good reasons not to join for college money that you can get somewhere else. The only reason you should join the military is to kill people.

Comment

Yes, I know, but you are basically their ***** for as long as you signed up for one. Two you might get killed. There are probably other very good reasons not to join for college money that you can get somewhere else. The only reason you should join the military is to kill people.
                  I think Pat and I are more on the mark about why people join the military.

Comment

• What a shame that the US Army has been reduced to its current state of wretchedness.
                    What wretched condition is that? The premier land army on the planet by orders of magnitude?

The only reason you should join the military is to kill people.
                    If you say that in any recruiting station you will find yourself NOT seriving any time soon. However, Kids general idea is correct. You should join to serve, anything else is a fringe benefit. Or in other words, you should be interested in the military because of service, and the benefits should simply make it more acceptable/realistic economically for you to pursue that service. Nobody gets richin the military.

In fact, most people who join for college money usually find themselves leaving at the earliest opportunity (without qualifying for the money) or kicked out for not being able to hack it/****ing up because they hate the life.
                    Last edited by Patroklos; December 23, 2007, 13:31.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

What wretched condition is that? The premier land army on the planet by orders of magnitude?
                      Scandals surround the US military. Abu Ghraib, Gitmo, the random acts of torture and abuse against Iraqi civilians. Also, the state of Walter Reed and other military facilities.

We have the biggest budget, but we're also the worst about using it properly.

Comment

If you say that in any recruiting station you will find yourself NOT seriving any time soon.
                        You can't possibly believe that!

Comment

• I'm reminded of Arlo Guthrie.

"I want to KILL!!"
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• You can't possibly believe that!
                            When you work at a recruiting command feel free to offer an experiance based objection

That might have worked for Caesar's legions, we really aren't into the whole bloodlust thing these days...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                              I'm reminded of Arlo Guthrie.

"I want to KILL!!"
                              I tried to get my MEPS commander to use "Injecting, inspecting, detecting, infecting, neglecting and selecting our nation's finest" as our station's motto, but he demurred.

And at the risk of sounding like a Patroklos DL, we actually tried not to let the homicidal types (who were extremely rare anyway) through to boot camp, as counterintuitive as that may be to Kidicious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Igloodude
                                I tried to get my MEPS commander to use "Injecting, inspecting, detecting, infecting, neglecting and selecting our nation's finest" as our station's motto, but he demurred.

I knew somebody would get the reference.
                                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X