No announcement yet.

Remembrance/Armistice Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entente was based on the idea of balance between the powers Russia - France was built to contain Germany and force them to fight a two front war.

McCrae is right, if no one stepped up to replace the fallen the war was lost and the deaths in vain.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The politics of why it happened are irrelevant. Remembrance day is about the poor guys who had to pay for the mistakes with their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by thesilentone
        The politics of why it happened are irrelevant. Remembrance day is about the poor guys who had to pay for the mistakes with their lives.
        This is the crux of the matter, and for that I am constantly thankful for their sacrifice.
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I disagree with NYE wrt to WW1 but I agree with him whole heartedly when he says THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THE DEBATE.

Please stop peeing in a memorial thread. Start another thread if you really give a damn.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Have you guys ever seen the film ' Oh What a Lovely War'. A powerful satire on WW1. A tremendous anti war film using songs from the first world war era.

The final sequence I always find moving and impressive.
            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Wezil, there was no debate until nye chimed in. As for "peeing" on a memorial thread, go to hell. There aint no one here "peeing" on veterans or their sacrifices.

Thats contradictory, the mistakes cost them their lives but thats irrelevant? Seems to me remembering and honoring their sacrifice requires understanding the mistakes that led to their deaths. Do you honor them by sending others to die for similar mistakes or do you honor them by avoiding such mistakes in the future?

And if someone posts a poem that tells the teenage sons of men dying in France that their fathers wont sleep if their sons dont follow in their footsteps, thats likely to draw attention. I'm sure the guy who wrote it didn't mean to say that, but thats what he wrote.

McCrae is right, if no one stepped up to replace the fallen the war was lost and the deaths in vain.
              No, the war would have ended if no one replaced the fallen. Dying in vain is not about winning or losing a war, Americans who died in Vietnam did not die in vain, they died because we the people let them die from a hail of lies told to us by our politicians. If we lose sight of that fact, then they did die in vain.

Comment

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X