No announcement yet.

Republican aggresors grow skeptical of free trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's one of those "I don't even know where to begin" things.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well, hell, why do you people come to this site? Just to call people stupid?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Protectionism

Republicans

-Arrian
        QFT
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

How can you have free trade if it's not on a level playing field? How can you say any economic system is good when it means it is cheaper for companies to outsource jobs to foreign countries leaving Americans without a way to feed their families?
          EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            I imagine this has more to do with frustration over China constantly cheating about everything then anything else. Cheating with currency valuations, cheating on product safety, lack of oversight, etc...

The reality is people aren't pissed off at free trade per say rather they are pissed off and scared about how China gets away with this ****.
            To be fair, the US cheats at times as well. Ask the Canadians about that. Not that we should be really surprised the Chinese cheat anyway... I mean, it's the PRC, for ****'s sake!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
              How can you have free trade if it's not on a level playing field? How can you say any economic system is good when it means it is cheaper for companies to outsource jobs to foreign countries leaving Americans without a way to feed their families?
              What about Indian families?

Free Trade does not mean that, in all instances, Americans will do better than others. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The outsourcing thing is a no.

Of course, one could talk about barriers to the free flow of labor...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well, even if its not on a "level playing field" (it never will be because of different corporate welfare and government subsidies, even among the "free trade" countries), not having tariffs benefits the 'home' consumer and businesses which import cheaper materials to make their finished goods.

Furthermore, outsourcing has been incredibly played up. Recall my thread a few weeks ago about Indian companies outsourcing to the US! And the first go around of outsourcing actually happened from the northern industrial states to the southern states which had less tax burdens (a stink was not raised much then). In addition, most companies want to be somewhere with greater productivity. In some industries, it is difficult to be all that more productive, and they go overseas.. but in others, like manufacturing, jobs are lost not necessarily because of outsourcing, but because of technological advancement (the US manufacturers more goods today than it EVER has, but that's because technology has made a lot of jobs on the line obsolete).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's the other thing: Imran's right about outsourcing being overblown.

My wife works in IS, ok? There has been some outsourcing done by our company. But not all that much, and frankly, given the problems that have been encountered, I'm not sure there will be much more.

The really funny part is when we starting paying Indians to come over to the US to help manage the Indians in India, and paid them normal American wages to do it (of course, given the cost of living here in CT).

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Huge trade deficit, weak currency, other nations holding tons of our currency, stagnant wages.

How exactly have we benefited?
                    The insiders made a killing.

Comment

I'm not against free trade in general. I am against free trade when one country is held to certain high standards and the other country isn't.

Like for example, when a country gives subsidies to its farmers?
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

The insiders made a killing.
                        That's exactly the point I was going to make.

Comment

how come no one has repeated the education mantra yet?

Comment

That's exactly the point I was going to make.
                            So your point is that Republicans are evil, and has nothing to do with free trade?
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

So your point is that Republicans are evil, and has nothing to do with free trade?
                              Explain the free trade business cycle theory.

Comment

Explain the free trade business cycle theory.
                                It's not a "free trade business cycle theory". You have already been told this. There are ups and downs in economies. Cycles if you will. Every time there's a down you can't blame free trade for it all, just like you can't when it goes up.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X