No announcement yet.

UAW Strike - the last gasp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess GM hand some leverage... $50 billion in health care liability to the union?!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

• Yeah, that was something that was agreed on weeks ago.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• That's the reason why the union wanted some sort of job security pledge in the contract... because they were taking on that liability.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• According to NPR's business program, that is the only detail of the agreement that we know so far.
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Here we go again. This time Chrysler!
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• & Chrysler has an advantage that GM didn't. Half its assembly lines are closed down due to lack of work but the employees are getting paid, nonetheless. With a strike, they no longer get paid.

Comment

• This happens just as they ran stories of all the unhappy union works from the GM strike.

I'll keep going with what I said earlier and the union will be screwed again. It's almost like the union bosses are just selling the workers out. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the money in that health care fund GM handed over disappears.

Comment

• Militant unions tend to find they represent workers of factories which no longer exist. There is a limit to how far the unions can push and every agreement must work in the face of real world competition.

Just ask the former autoworkers in the UK how union militancy worked out for them. In the 70's and 80's old labor really pushed the unions into a militant political stance. So much so that they lost sight of economic realities and the entire industry collapsed and died. Not to many workers left to represent in those factories.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    & Chrysler has an advantage that GM didn't. Half its assembly lines are closed down due to lack of work but the employees are getting paid, nonetheless. With a strike, they no longer get paid.
                    The ones on furlough still get paid unless they are called to work and fail to report.

We saw a similar situation with the Saturn plant near here. One line is shut down for retooling and those workers still received the full amount of compensation. The other line, which honored the strike, received strike pay from the union only.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Presto! Chrysler strike settled.

It looks as if Chrysler wanted to see if the UAW could get the workers to walk out. Once it saw the union wasn't bluffing, things came to a quick end.

Comment

Working...
                      X