Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Saddam the head of a representative government after all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, because Gordon came to power by toppling Blair's government in a way that contravened the legitimate and legal methods of succession in Britain, right? And because we supported this coup with our agency of espionage, because we don't want anyone to know that we are allied with the British government, right?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Sure, because Gordon came to power by toppling Blair's government in a way that contravened the legitimate and legal methods of succession in Britain, right? And because we supported this coup with our agency of espionage, because we don't want anyone to know that we are allied with the British government, right?
      Did we do any of that with Saddam?
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Saddam was our man. Stop trolling.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think his quibble (not troll) is over whether Saddam was "our man" from the get-go, or whether we cozied up to him once he had taken power on his own.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
            Did we do any of that with Saddam?
            The evidence would certainly seem to suggest as much. I didn't really think our CIA presence in Iraq during the 60s and 70s was really a big secret.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              I think his quibble (not troll) is over whether Saddam was "our man" from the get-go, or whether we cozied up to him once he had taken power on his own.

-Arrian
              Asking 4 questions in 4 posts with nothing else accompanying is blantant trolling.

Comment

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

-Arrian
                  Are you trolling?

Comment

-Arrian
                    To be honest, I don't know enough of the history to judge that. I really only wanted to point out to Sloww that, as funny and easy as it is to rag on the UN, the United States is probably slightly more responsible for the mess we're in now than the United Nations is.

Comment

No. I'm quoting a great movie while disagreeing with you as to the meaning of trolling.

-Arrian

Comment

No. I'm quoting a great movie while disagreeing with you as to the meaning of trolling.

-Arrian
                        It sounds familiar. What movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                          Saddam was our man. Stop trolling.
                          So we thought, anyway, and that was starting in 81, with high level support starting in early 83. An enemy of my enemy...

Back in '68, Saddam was a non-entity.

As far as CIA presence in the ME in the 60's and 70's, the CIA was active everywhere, as were our good commie friends... There was this thing called the "cold war," you know? It isn't like there was some sweetness and light, stable, secular, pro-democracy alternative.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

God, I've been meaning to rewatch that movie for a long time. Inigo has some of the best lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

To be honest, I don't know enough of the history to judge that. I really only wanted to point out to Sloww that, as funny and easy as it is to rag on the UN, the United States is probably slightly more responsible for the mess we're in now than the United Nations is.
                              Certainly. We're part of the UN. Our inability to get the UN to do what we thought needed to be done was in part due to godawful "diplomacy" by the Bush Admin. Also, the UN is a mess and everyone knows this, but the inspectors WERE RIGHT about WMDs.

The United States went right on ahead with an invasion. That's on us. You break it you buy it. Trying to blame the UN for the mess we're now in is ridiculous.

The UN (and also various member states and independent actors) can be faulted for many things, most notably the cluster**** that was the "Oil for Food" program. One can also whine about the UN "not enforcing its resolutions" but that's easy to respond to:

Most countries realized that enforcing the resolutions by invading was more trouble than it was worth, since Saddam was contained and therefore did not represent a credible threat.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                                So we thought, anyway, and that was starting in 81, with high level support starting in early 83. An enemy of my enemy...

Back in '68, Saddam was a non-entity.
                                I see.

As far as CIA presence in the ME in the 60's and 70's, the CIA was active everywhere, as were our good commie friends... There was this thing called the "cold war," you know? It isn't like there was some sweetness and light, stable, secular, pro-democracy alternative.
                                Combining the defense of, "But they were doing it too!" with the rather novel defense of, "But we were doing it a lot!"

Of course the CIA was doing all that Cold War business. Of course there were reasons for what we were doing. Some of those reasons may have been good, some of them bad. Some reasons may have been far-sighted, some short.

The point is, our meddling in the Middle East is definitely part of the reason we're in the mess we're in now. That's just the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X