Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When your military service and patriotism counts for nothing . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your military service and patriotism counts for nothing . . . .

Let's hear it for good ol' American homophobia.

Church Cancels Memorial Service of Deceased Gay Navy Veteran

By ANGELA K. BROWN, Associated Press Writer
    Sat Aug 11, 5:45 AM ET

ARLINGTON, Texas - A megachurch canceled a memorial service for a Navy veteran 24 hours before it was to start because the deceased was gay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Officials at the nondenominational High Point Church knew that Cecil Howard Sinclair was gay when they offered to host his service, said his sister, Kathleen Wright. But after his obituary listed his life partner as one of his survivors, she said, it was called off.

"It's a slap in the face. It's like, 'Oh, we're sorry he died, but he's gay so we can't help you,'" she said Friday.

Wright said High Point offered to hold the service for Sinclair because their brother is a janitor there. Sinclair, who served in the first Gulf War, died Monday at age 46 from an infection after surgery to prepare him for a heart transplant.

The church's pastor, the Rev. Gary Simons, said no one knew Sinclair, who was not a church member, was gay until the day before the Thursday service, when staff members putting together his video tribute saw pictures of men "engaging in clear affection, kissing and embracing."

Simons said the church believes homosexuality is a sin, and it would have appeared to endorse that lifestyle if the service had been held there.

"We did decline to host the service — not based on hatred, not based on discrimination, but based on principle," Simons told The Associated Press. "Had we known it on the day they first spoke about it — yes, we would have declined then. It's not that we didn't love the family."

Simons said the decision had nothing to do with the obituary. He said the church offered to pay for another site for the service, made the video and provided food for more than 100 relatives and friends.

"Even though we could not condone that lifestyle, we went above and beyond for the family through many acts of love and kindness," Simons said.

Wright called the church's claim about the pictures "a bold-faced lie." She said she provided numerous family pictures of Sinclair, including some with his partner, but said none showed men kissing or hugging.

The 5,000-member High Point Church was founded in 2000 by Simons and his wife, April, whose brother is Joel Osteen, well-known pastor of the 38,000-member Lakewood Church in Houston. Now High Point meets in a 432,000-square-foot facility in Arlington, near Dallas.

Wright said relatives declined the church's offer to hold the service at a community center because they felt it was an inappropriate venue. It ultimately was held at a funeral home, but the cancellation still lingered in some minds, she said.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

What is a megachurch? /stupid atheist BeBro
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
      What is a megachurch? /stupid atheist BeBro
      really ****ing big.

That's a church near my (very religious) Aunt's house my Cousin calls "The Bapitdome"
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

How very christian of them.

Well, what was this commandment you read in the bible so many times?

"Love thy neighbor like yourself, unless he is gay"?

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
          How very christian of them.

Well, what was this commandment you read in the bible so many times?

Something like that.

Comment

link?

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There's a story on the KABC website about an ordained minister performing a marriage ceremony for two dogs. I assume the dogs aren't gay.

I predict that someday, Americans will come to believe that everyone is created equal.

Comment

I predict that someday, Americans will come to believe that everyone is created equal.
                They believe that now, its after market modifications that lower your resale value.

In any event, why did this dude belong to this church if they were not in sync with his way of thinking?
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

They believe that now, its after market modifications that lower your resale value.

In any event, why did this dude belong to this church if they were not in sync with his way of thinking?
                  apparently his brother belonged, not him.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

His brother is a dumbass then. Why would you bury someone at a church not of their denomination? Or if they are not religious a church at all?

The brother sounds like a douche.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: When your military service and patriotism counts for nothing . . . .

Originally posted by MrFun
                      "not based on discrimination, but based on principle,"
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Or unless he's a gentile or an infidel.

Comment

Re: Re: When your military service and patriotism counts for nothing . . . .

Originally posted by LordShiva

Yes, they can come up with interesting two-faced terms when they want to discriminate.

Not to mention that I seriously doubt Jesus Christ would call this a Christian church.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Let me know when you figure it out.

Comment

Why is it his job? Why not the brother's?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X