No announcement yet.

Oh, the humilitation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, the CAD has always displayed LESS fluctuation (as measured against a basket of major currencies) than the USD has.
    Well I'd be very interested to see your evidence behind such a statement.

Get a ****ing clue. Never mind the fact that the USD has the exact same variability against the CAD as the CAD has against the USD, of course. The only differences are, as I said, that US customers are more important as a percentage of customers of Canadian businesses than the other way around, and the greater familiarity of Canadians in general with the USD than vice versa.
    Which is not far from what I said, I said Americans in general are very unfamiliar with Canadian currency such that the big national chain I went to required their manager to change the money. Up here all the tellers would do so without hesitation for the USD.

WTF are you on about? Banks ANYWHERE in the US accept CAD at competitive exchange rates. I change Canadian currency all the time.
    I didn't deny that the banks accept CDN. Just that the banks are far more familiar with CDN up here then they are in the US.

I'm curious, which bank do you use in the US? The Bank of America that I went to acted as if it had been years since they last took Canadian dollars.

And the fact that the USD is low doesn't prove that it's "vulnerable to fluctuations"?
    CDN has been appreciating against a variety of currencies. The point being that we are a petro dollar. It makes sense, given increases in our main exports that our dollar would be more likely to gain and lose strength based on theose exports. THe US dollar would not be as likely to fluctuate given the larger size of their economy. It makes sense to me.

Well I believe it's up to you to show the claim you are making. Is it true that historically the Canadian dollar has shown less fluctuation against a basket of currencies?

I love learning stuff, so why don't you start by defending yourself sweetheart.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The CDN was kept artificially low for years to protect manufacturing jobs.

It is not just oil that is driving it up. The USD is on the slide, and all resources are increasing in value. Calling the Canbuck a petro dollar is laughable.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Well I'd be very interested to see your evidence behind such a statement.
        I don't give a flying **** what you'd be interested in seeing. Do your own ****ing research. That's a well known fact among anybody who knows anything about currency markets.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ben, the sad thing ut you is that you're not stupid; merely willfully ignorant.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm curious, which bank do you use in the US? The Bank of America that I went to acted as if it had been years since they last took Canadian dollars.

BoA in Baltimore, MD along with some other banks in various cities along the East Coast.

The only time I've ever had any trouble was when I changed 4000 CAD. They required a photo ID and address for that transaction.

Any ****ing business owner who brings in a few hundred CAD every 2 days is going to have no trouble whatsoever.

The CAD is a major world currency. Its convertibility to the USD or to any other major currency is uncontestable anywhere in the First World.

Simply put, outside of the border area, Canadians don't make up enough of any given business' client base to make it worth their while to accept CAD. Of course. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the currency and everything to do with demographics.

In other words, you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd rather the CAD hadn't risen so much. I think a slight undervaluation (0.80 - 0.85 USD) would be better than it's current slight overvaluation (based on an informal estimate of CPI).

Not much you can do, however. Resource prices and inflation...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I had a woman (canadian) maybe three months ago who handed me some canadian coins when trying to buy some coffee (in Chicago). I pointed this fact out to her, and she said "Oh, you don't take canadian money?"

I tried not to laugh... mostly ... apparently she often uses it in upper michigan. I pointed out the fact that upper michigan is rather closer to canada than Chicago, and that the USD is worth a tad more than the CAD. At the time it was still a measurable difference anyway
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You do know that she wasn't necessarily expecting a par rate, right?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It must be about many things. I mean... now that we have the euro, we can also try to use it anywhere else. It's a strong currency and it definitely has to do with accepting it as a payment, because the seller knows he will get his, especially if in the 3rd world countries, so I think when Ben says that strong currency is pretty much liked, well I mean that's part of it I'd assume.

But most importantly, it's a sell made. You want to do business. You sell. Someone is willing to buy, you sell. Canadian dollars, US dollars, Euro, I don't care, if you're buying, I'm selling.

I don't think people prefer currencies other than their own, unless it's a really turbulent place. Why would I prefer say.. some strong currency other than my own? Saves me trouble if I just get it in what is the default currency.

Also, US dollar is definitely not the most stable one around. It is stable, it is strong, but it has gone what... almost like 40cents down against Euro in the last... 5 years? Also comparing to some other currencies, was it yen? So.. it's stable enough, it's strong enough, but it's not the 'cream in my pants' currency right now.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

American banks I found more drugstores that would cash my British traveller's cheques than banks that would. They even fingerprinted me.

American money :q Everytime I think they can't make it uglier they manage to.

American deficiet spending With every pound buying two dollars (plus how cheap America is generally) it was like going round a giant shopping mall where everything was 1/2 to 1/4 the price. One giant outlet mall of the world.
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        I had a woman (canadian) maybe three months ago
                        And no luck since then?
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                          You guys are taking this as a bash against you. To be honest i dont really give a dam. Your dollar to ours i dont care what the rate is, the canadians take more american money then the us does, thats the deal. And as far as the pesos are concerned wht ever the internet says isnt the truth so therefore ur stastemnet is inconclusive cause i live here and and seen them deny it!!!! Pesos arent spent here, people may have them and see if a store will change them but most do not. I havent seen one that has ,
                          We're not taking it as a bash against us, simply that you claimed Canadian merchants actually want US dollars, which is absurd. Then Ben jumped in to defend you like he always does with even more ridiculous assertions.

As far as the Peso acceptance thing, while the article was posted on the internet, it was a scholarly study. I could care less whether you choose to believe it or not, though I'm not surprised you don't.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

We're not taking it as a bash against us, simply that you claimed Canadian merchants actually want US dollars, which is absurd.
                            Well, I'm sure they don't mind it when they're able to get away with charging a significant premium (compared with actual exchange rate) on USD transactions...

Then Ben jumped in to defend you like he always does with even more ridiculous assertions.

I know. It's actually pretty sad. I've developed the theory that Ben wants to hit that.

As far as the Peso acceptance thing, while the article was posted on the internet, it was a scholarly study. I could care less whether you choose to believe it or not, though I'm not surprised you don't.

a) Couldn't care less
                            b) Stop making posts like this. You sound like me.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              a) Couldn't care less
                              b) Stop making posts like this. You sound like me.
                              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                                a) Couldn't care less
                                QFT

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X