Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Production possibly; distribution, certainly not.
    I meant the legal structure.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      The inability of IP developers to finely price discriminate along with the minimal marginal cost of distribution combine to mean that a large amount of utility is lost.
      That would be far easier if anti-piracy rules were more strictly enforced.

Comment

Bull****.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Which?

Comment

Price discrimination between different markets would be a lot easier if releases for one market couldn't immediately be accessed by those in another through bittorrent et. al.

Comment

That would be far easier if anti-piracy rules were more strictly enforced.

But this part

I meant the legal structure.

Is also bull****.

The legal structure grants IP rights long after additional incentive is necessary, particularly in the case of copyright.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

By a close approximation, I meant that any differences between it and the optimal would be of degree, not kind. And IP becomes more valuable in proportion to the length it's protected, so longer protection encourages investment in it.

(I agree that the current terms are longer than they should be, but don't see how it's terribly relevant given that most piracy is of recent releases.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Price discrimination between different markets would be a lot easier if releases for one market couldn't immediately be accessed by those in another through bittorrent et. al.
                  I wonder if you might not want to take a look at the average age of songs sold through, say, iTunes...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    By a close approximation, I meant that any differences between it and the optimal would be of degree, not kind. And IP becomes more valuable in proportion to the length it's protected, so longer protection encourages investment in it.

(I agree that the current terms are longer than they should be, but don't see how it's terribly relevant given that most piracy is of recent releases.)
                    Piracy of software, yes.

Piracy of music and movies, far less so...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• The extension of copyright to life + 70 years isn't a great justification for downloading Spiderman 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        I wonder if you might not want to take a look at the average age of songs sold through, say, iTunes...
                        Look at the average age of songs on p2p. Of course, that old songs still produce revenue supports the relevance of longer copyright terms.

Comment

• Again, I think you might be slightly surprised...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• While the top 10 songs might be recent releases, you have to integrate over all downloads...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Regardless, if your only argument against the current system is the length of the terms, you haven't provided a very convincing justification for your piracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Look at the average age of songs on p2p. Of course, that old songs still produce revenue supports the relevance of longer copyright terms.
                                No, it doesn't.

It only supports long copyright terms IF THE ADDITIONAL REVENUE SIGNIFICANTLY INCENTIVIZES PRODUCTION.

How much of, say, AC/DC's music was written because they knew they'd still be pulling in residuals 25 years later? How much was because of income over the first 5 years?
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X