Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
    That kind of lawsuit wouldn't fly here, so I'm not the least bit worried. Downloading isn't illegal here.
    Downloading with p2p generally is, because you're uploading too. And, frankly, downloading should be against the law. If it's made so, don't complain.

Comment

The economics of IP are obvious. Anyone who denies that the current system is [a close approximation to] the optimal system for producing it is an idiot. Therefore anyone who violates the rules of the system because it hasn't caught up to recent technical developments must acknowledge that their behavior is selfish, antisocial, and should be prevented.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Wrong.
        Sorry, Buckwheat. "Wrong" doesn't qualify as an argument. I cited where you're wrong, and can cite more. Put up or shut up. Your opinion counts as nothing in regard to law and facts.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Y'all seem to whine when people even consider trying ways of prosecute violators.

Im tired of whiny baby "artists". find a way to make money or stfu.

That's where DRM comes from. Stop complaining about it too.
          I havent! I think the cat and mouse game is neat.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The economics of IP are obvious. Anyone who denies that the current system is [a close approximation to] the optimal system for producing it is an idiot. Therefore anyone who violates the rules of the system because it hasn't caught up to recent technical developments must acknowledge that their behavior is selfish, antisocial, and should be prevented.
            antisocial?
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

100-nil.

an·ti·so·cial
              –adjective
              1. unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.
              2. antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
              3. opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.
              4. Psychiatry. of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.

Comment

free lunches are against the principles of society!

Comment

Take this caterpillar key. Much faster for digging a hole than that garden spade you're digging a hole with on this subject. Although, you're doing pretty well as is.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Go away. I want to argue with smarter people than you.

Comment

Yes and no. I have no problem with the concepts of copyright, patents, royalties, etc. I do have a problem with them all being extended far beyond their utility.

The whole basis for IP in the US is Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the US Constitution, which says (and I'm quoting the whole thing) that Congress shall have the power to:

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries
                      If the function of a copyright/royalty system is to encourage artistic (and other) creativity by promising tangible benefits to the artists, then is there any philosophical reason for any music recorded by Elvis, or Frank Sinatra, or Maria Callas, or the Glenn Miller Orchestra to be covered by copyright anymore? Is there any philosophical justification for Disney being able to sue preschools for their unauthorized use of the image of Mickey Mouse?

IP protection is a sensible idea. But the way it continues to be implemented and expanded -- with a focus soley on the ongoing protection of profit rather than the original rationale for such laws -- in simply an absurd exercise in greed, venality, and (on Congress's part) cowardice.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I just dont see the social plague of piracy coming to fruition. sure it might not be the right thing to do...but...but...

screw it. I can live with doing something relatively minor like pirating music.

I rescind all claims of boomers being selfish. boomers are just human, like me. pirating is wrong, but i limit my engagement of it (I hate that most the music I like is OOP or only sold in europe).

I've been wrong but not to the point of no return

Comment

Yes and no. I have no problem with the concepts of copyright, patents, royalties, etc. I do have a problem with them all being extended far beyond their utility.

When has IP been extended, apart from the 1998 term extension?

If the function of a copyright/royalty system is to encourage artistic (and other) creativity by promising tangible benefits to the artists, then is there any philosophical reason for any music recorded by Elvis, or Frank Sinatra, or Maria Callas, or the Glenn Miller Orchestra to be covered by copyright anymore?

Yes.

Is there any philosophical justification for Disney being able to sue preschools for their unauthorized use of the image of Mickey Mouse?

1) that's the extreme case, and we have to accept extreme cases when they're the result of a system that produces the best results overall

2) what does this have to do with piracy?

IP protection is a sensible idea. But the way it continues to be implemented and expanded -- with a focus soley on the ongoing protection of profit rather than the original rationale for such laws -- in simply an absurd exercise in greed, venality, and (on Congress's part) cowardice.

I don't really see how (with the aforementioned Sonny Bono act).

Comment

Good luck on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                              I just dont see the social plague of piracy coming to fruition. sure it might not be the right thing to do...but...but...

screw it. I can live with doing something relatively minor like pirating music.

I rescind all claims of boomers being selfish. boomers are just human, like me. pirating is wrong, but i limit my engagement of it (I hate that most the music I like is OOP or only sold in europe).

I've been wrong but not to the point of no return
                              I was talking to Sloww.

Comment

The economics of IP are obvious. Anyone who denies that the current system is [a close approximation to] the optimal system for producing it is an idiot.
                                Production possibly; distribution, certainly not.

The inability of IP developers to finely price discriminate along with the minimal marginal cost of distribution combine to mean that a large amount of utility is lost.

But you can continue to sputter ridiculous statements if you want...
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X