Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy

So what is the difference between stealing a DVD movie from a store, and downloading a pirated copy of a movie from the Internet?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

If enough people go into a store and steal the same dvd, they're all gone. No one else can see it.
    In piracy, the more that take, the more that can see it.

Look at it as a social service.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

mhmmm

Comment

Donegeal pulls out his notepad.

Slowwhand... Texas... Check.
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

As soon as I saw your name, I thought, "Oh crapola."
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Never fear. RIAA (and such) blows.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              If enough people go into a store and steal the same dvd, they're all gone. No one else can see it.
              In piracy, the more that take, the more that can see it.

Look at it as a social service.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Re: Piracy

Originally posted by MrFun
                So what is the difference between stealing a DVD movie from a store, and downloading a pirated copy of a movie from the Internet?
                I don't have to get out of my chair to do the latter.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Physical theft is an immediate loss to a store, piracy is a potential loss (the loss of your potential purchase.)

A lot of the things that are pirated, people wouldn't ever end up paying to see, to begin with. Not that it makes it right, but it is a hell of a lot different than the overgeneralizations you see trumpeted before movies in the theaters.

"You wouldn't steal a CAR...you wouldnt SHOPLIFT a DVD...so don't PIRATE A MOVIE"
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

A lot of the things that are pirated, people wouldn't ever end up paying to see, to begin with.
                    BS.

Comment

This thread isn't about ass-pirates.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

BS.

It's just an aspect of apathy. I don't care enough of any of the films out on DVD right now, to actually bother to go and rent, or buy it. I might download it, and watch if I absolutely have nothing else to do... But I'm much more likely to clip my toenails or post on poly... I have both of the Pirates-movies on my HD, been for months. Can't be bothered to watch them. Then again, I had a preorder of Civ4 going as early as possible...

I prefer the word plunder, anyways.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Whatever, that's you personally.

Music is a great example. Lots of people bought albums. Then napster. Big decline in album sales.

I know plenty of people who download games, movies, etc. They could, I guess, claim "Oh, I'd never have bought it anyway," but I'd really doubt that. They like movies and games, but would never pay for it?

Comment

Wiglaf, So?

The industry took the issue and didn't handle it correctly. iTunes is taking names and kicking ass, that's beucase they thought about the new way of doing things and tapped in early.

There is no direct correlation with people downloading things and the same people not buying an item.

This is not to advocate piracy. It's obviously illegal and the makers of the product should be paid for it.

Also, the difference is, that you are not depriving the product from someone else when you pirate it, and that's a big part of "stealing". That is, you are not depriving it from anyone else. You're making a copy. And no, it's not the same. Only nazis think it's the same, but they're stupid anyway and can't tell the difference between their sister and their brother.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The industry took the issue and didn't handle it correctly. iTunes is taking names and kicking ass, that's beucase they thought about the new way of doing things and tapped in early.
                              What?

iTunes pays recording labels. The companies are using the industry. They lost a lot of money during the napster boom, though, and still do. Because people pirate. Don't argue this crap that you wouldn't have bought it otherwise...usually isn't true.

Comment

Working...
                              X