No announcement yet.

Al Gore Rumbled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear powered cars? Nuclear powered personal generators? Nuclear power is ok when largesse is your option, but you cannot believe that our consumer vehicles can be powered like our military machines.

Solar cars? Wind-powered personal generators? Geothermal jets? Christ, why did I even bother with you?

Conservation efforts on Oil make little sense compared to finding alternate sources.

Conserving energy (which is what I mentioned, not oil) will make a difference in CO2 levels now. Less electricity usage means less coal and gas burned and less CO2 pumped into the atmosphere. Anyone who really wants to curtail the emission of greenhouse gases should be in favor of greater conservation efforts.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Here's the measure: would a private insurance company be willing to insure it? If not, it's probably not economical.

I think private insurance companies would be willing to insure modern nuclear plants if they sensed a coming boom in the industry. If the government made it a goal to greatly increase the percentage of our electrical power that comes from nuclear, I think you'd see a shift in attitudes.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Nuclear power has an extremely low chance of an even more expensive accident. Expensive on the order of Katrina, Multiply that by the hundreds or thousands we'd need, and consider that we are generally risk-averse, particularly when the potential damage is large. That means that even if an insurance company is willing to back it (given that one failure could cripple the entire company) the fees will be incredible. Then add in costs of security and storage of any nuclear material. Nuclear becomes a much less appealing prospect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          Here's the measure: would a private insurance company be willing to insure it? If not, it's probably not economical.

I think private insurance companies would be willing to insure modern nuclear plants if they sensed a coming boom in the industry.
          Given that a single failure could wipe out an entire company, I think they'd be very hesitant.

Comment

• I'm not sure how a single failure could wipe out an entire insurance company. It would take a Chernobyl-scale disaster, which is extremely unlikely given modern designs and non-Russian management...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Solar cars?
              How about ELECTRIC cars, Mr. Wizard? You know, like the ones that were developed, tested, loved, and then canned for reasons that only Oil companies know?

What I was responding to was your love of nuclear power. Yes, solar powered, electric powered, hydro powerered cars are wonderful. But all you focused on, in what I was refuting, was nuclear power.

Wind-powered personal generators? Geothermal jets? Christ, why did I even bother with you?
              These are things I'm for. But exactly how much does a Geothermal jet cost right now, and how much COULD it cost in 5 years?

Conservation efforts on Oil make little sense compared to finding alternate sources.

Conserving energy (which is what I mentioned, not oil) will make a difference in CO2 levels now. Less electricity usage means less coal and gas burned and less CO2 pumped into the atmosphere. Anyone who really wants to curtail the emission of greenhouse gases should be in favor of greater conservation efforts.
              Great. Now get YOUR people to support it. My people will continue to support alternatives. How about we work together?
              Last edited by The Emperor Fabulous; February 28, 2007, 01:58.
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

• How about ELECTRIC cars, Mr. Wizard?

Electric cars don't do anything on their own to help reduce CO2 emissions. I'll let you try to figure that one out on your own. Let me know if you need help...

These are things I'm for. But exactly how much does a Geothermal jet cost right now, and how much COULD it cost in 5 years?

I'm pretty sure a geothermal plane is physically impossible....
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Right, I apologize. I misread your sarcasm. You were being sarcastic through your entire argument. You brought nothing substantive to the table. I apologize for my misrepresentation, trying to place substance in your argument where there wasn't any.
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

• You were being sarcastic through your entire argument.

Very out of character for me, I know.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• See, though, its this whole thing

Electric cars don't do anything on their own to help reduce CO2 emissions. I'll let you try to figure that one out on your own. Let me know if you need help...
                      that really gets under my skin.

1.) Exactly how much CO2 do electric cars produce? If it is less than current cars, exactly how would switching to electric cars not reduce CO2 emissions (this is a serious question: if you know more than I do, please bring it forward)?

2.) You do know you're only as smart as the dumbest person you listen to, right? And you, apparently, listen to, what is it...AEI? Case = rested.

Comment

• Exactly how much CO2 do electric cars produce? If it is less than current cars, exactly how would switching to electric cars not reduce CO2 emissions (this is a serious question: if you know more than I do, please bring it forward)?

Hint: Where does electricity come from?
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Hopefully one day from alternative resources. I look to your side to help in that fight.

Case in point: I know many Cape Codder who would love to be able to plug their cars in to the power grid they have. You know, powered by the sun and the wind. Could go along nicely with those in Iowa and Nebraska who would love the same thing.

Comment

Exactly how much CO2 do electric cars produce? If it is less than current cars, exactly how would switching to electric cars not reduce CO2 emissions (this is a serious question: if you know more than I do, please bring it forward)?

Hint: Where does electricity come from?

copper wires?

the bad thing is you can't revv up electric cars. .

Comment

• The new Tesla Roadster is supposed to be pretty sweet and it's electric...

I know many Cape Codder who would love to be able to plug their cars in to the power grid they have. You know, powered by the sun and the wind. Could go along nicely with those in Iowa and Nebraska who would love the same thing.

I'd rather not have large swaths of valuable farmland covered with inefficient solar/wind farms, thank you very much. A handful of nuclear plants is all Nebraska needs.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Mmm.

Well, you seem to have put a pause on any form of discussion.

BTW...missed you Drake. No matter how gay that might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X