No announcement yet.

Chicago Poly Meet, take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in-town thru Friday. During the weekend, I can pummel up and down by train from St. Charles. I'll be back with a horde of colleagues next weekend

The pizza shouldn't be too hard too get. My hotel is right above Bella Bacino's, which is praised for its pizzas... or so they say

Comment

Q3 and Sava -- Do you guys drink? Beer?

Snoopy369 -- Are you showing up?
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Snoopy369 -- Are you showing up?
        Staropramen is a beer. A Czech Pilsner. Anyway, if you don't find it, I don't mind whatever you get, unless it's something totally lame, like O'Douls.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
          I'm in-town thru Friday. During the weekend, I can pummel up and down by train from St. Charles. I'll be back with a horde of colleagues next weekend

The pizza shouldn't be too hard too get. My hotel is right above Bella Bacino's, which is praised for its pizzas... or so they say
          So they all say.

Probably the most legendary is Pizzeria Uno, which is a walkable distance (maybe a mile) north of you at 29 E. Ohio. (Uno's is credited with inventing deep dish pizza in 1943, per Wiki). There are a bunch of other acceptable substitutes -- Giordano's, Geno's East, Lou Malnati, Edwardo's, Connie's...

Ming and Rah like Malnati's; I'm a huge fan of Edwardo's (stuffed pesto pizza with sausage...mmmmmm!). It's much like finding the best hot dog or Italian beef -- largely a matter of taste. And I don't want to start a pizza war...

If you're looking for restaurants, let us know.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Anyone heard from snoop?
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Someone should snoop around and see what he's up to.

Oh yes. I went there. *fist pump*
              B♭3

Comment

Today was a great day. Still frisky, but sunny with clear skies

I walked up and down the Mile this morning. Nothing really special, but if you're looking to get some cheap ties, Lord & Taylor in Water Tower Place are holding a clearance sale. I got two DKNY ties for ~30 USD.
                I went to Luke's on W Jackson Blvd to get my Italian Beef sandwich. The first words that went thru my head after opening the wrapping were "Holy ****, Batman..." It was a good sandwich though
                Since I was in the area, I walked past Sears Tower into Union Station. There were a bunch of people preparing for some kind of private event in the hall
                Anyway, I decided to head back east and took a walk along Lake Michigan thru Grant Park. It's too bad they have the cars driving on that side as well I took a turn south because I wanted to see Soldier Field. Obviously it wasn't open, but it is truly an astonishing building!
                I took the inside route of the park to get to the Art Institute. I quickly went thru the museum, because there wasn't a particular exhibition that really triggered me (it was after five so admission was free anyway). I did point out to the information desk that they misspelt "Piet Mondriaan" on the signs next to his paintings
                On the way back to the hotel, I stopped by Macy's to check it out. I don't think I'd go back in there again. It's not because it's a bad place to shop, but it is astronomically huge. I got lost on the Calvin Klein section alone

Right, I'm about to make my way to Uno's now to pick up my pizza

Comment

I am here and will happily come tomorrow A ride would be appreciated if possible, let me know details ASAP.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Oh, and Zopp if you want to come down to the Museum of Science and Industry let me know, it's about 400 feet from my apartment It's one bus ride from downtown (#6 Jackson Park or the #10 Museum of Science and Industry, both pick up on State street anywhere from Lake street to Roosevelt heading south)
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

the last time i was in chicago was in december. i dropped jellybeans on people.
                      apparently it hurts...

Comment

You are a Walking Man, Zopp. Some serious exploring -- a lot of trucking. You passed through the museum campus down there. Have you been through Millenium park as well? More importantly...
                        --Did you get hot or sweet peppers on your beef?
                        --What did you think of Uno?

Could the folks at Art Institute tell from your accent that you were misspelling "misspelled"?

You should check out the House of Blues restaurant for lunch (or dinner) during your stay. Awesome Cajun/Creole food, the place is full of weird outsider art, and not too pricey. It's at the base of Marina City towers, around State and Illinois. Plus of course, the original Billy Goat.

Looking forward to Polymeet tomorrow night... I'm sure Ming will show off his mad driving skillz for you.

Comment

Last time I was in Chicago, I went up to the bar on the top floor of the Hancock Centre. That was cool.
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Yes, but probably not much. Maybe just a few... if at all.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Have you been through Millenium park as well?
                              No, I walked back over Wabash. What's there in Millennium Park?

More importantly...
                              --Did you get hot or sweet peppers on your beef?
                              --What did you think of Uno?

I got the hot peppers, I like it spiced up
                              The Uno pizza was very good. Back home, the pizza boys have a hard time creating a crusty deep dish, but this one was nice and crusty on the outside.

Could the folks at Art Institute tell from your accent that you were misspelling "misspelled"?

Hur hur, I've actually been trying to adopt some form of an American accent. After my trip last year, I think it works better than the British accent

You should check out the House of Blues restaurant for lunch (or dinner) during your stay. Awesome Cajun/Creole food, the place is full of weird outsider art, and not too pricey. It's at the base of Marina City towers, around State and Illinois. Plus of course, the original Billy Goat.

I'll keep those in mind for next weekend. I'll be back with colleagues, and I think these outlets work better in group form.

Looking forward to Polymeet tomorrow night... I'm sure Ming will show off his mad driving skillz for you.

Mmm... good one, I still need to get the details straight with Ming...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                                Oh, and Zopp if you want to come down to the Museum of Science and Industry let me know, it's about 400 feet from my apartment
                                Sure, you want to go tomorrow or during the weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X