X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know about you guys...

What about our honored guests????
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Only 4 hours... I'd have to drive 100 mph to do it in four hours, and that's only one way
      Yeah you are probably right. I actually live 1/2 way between Detroit and Ann Arbor and I keep forgetting that on my way there I get a free hour due to time zone. So that 5 hour drive turns into 4 on the clock.

Comment

So I arrived about two hours ago, and I just checked into my hotel room. I'm going to go for a walk this afternoon. Anything that you want to recommend me to go see?

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
        I know about you guys...

What about our honored guests????
        Beer is beer, I don't really mind. Just don't bother with Heineken, it's likely overpriced over here and I get it enough back home

Comment

Welcome to Chicago, Zopper!

We promise better weather in the coming days...

Seriously, if there's a preferred brew (or type of beer -- lager, ale, stout, etc), please post. Glad to hear we can skip the Heineken.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Of course, you're in CHICAGO now, so we'll be drinking dog style, opps, i mean OLD STYLE.

Go to the art institute. It's warm inside
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              Of course, you're in CHICAGO now, so we'll be drinking dog style, opps, i mean OLD STYLE.

Go to the art institute. It's warm inside
              Get a Chicago-style hot dog while you're at it. There's a Gold Coast Dogs (generally, I'd recommend you avoid them) that's a combo with a Popeye's Chicken on Wabash under the El tracks that's passable; there's a Relish on the top floor of the Nordstrom Mall up on Michigan/Mag Mile.

I know there are some other delis around that will probably have good ones, but those are the only two that I know of in walking distance of my workplace.

Or! Italian Beef.
              B♭3

Comment

Pretty hard to get real Chicago-style dogs in the Loop; gotta get out to the neighborhoods.

Comment

It is. Though there are a few places which do make decent approximations.

Portillo's is another one.
                  B♭3

Comment

"Cheezborger! Cheezborger!
                    No fries, cheeps! No Pepsi, Coke!"?

You can always check out the Billy Goat Tavern of SNL fame on lower Michigan Avenue (430 N. Michigan Ave - look for the stairways going down that has a plague for the Billy Goat - just north of the river)
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Or, if he wants to go to the somewhat prettied-up versions as it's become chainified, there's the one at Navy Pier (tourist trap, stay away) or another along Madison, I believe.
                      B♭3

Comment

None of them are the original... There is really only one Billy Goat Tavern! (the one at O'Hare really sucks)
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Drinks?

I prefer grog.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yeah, I'll just swing by the Grog Shoppe on my way over...

Comment

OK, since I wasn't far away, I hopped over to Portillo's to get their version of the Chicago-style hot dog. I have to say, it's quite a... package. Obviously, your standards will be higher, but by Dutch standards*, this was a great hot dog

Tomorrow, I'll check out the art institute, the Billy Goat tavern, and try an Italian beef sandwich

* The Dutch tend to put ketchup on their hot dogs

Comment

How long are you in town again? There are other things to try--namely, Maxwell Street Polishes (again, Portillo's makes a passble version, if I recall correctly). There's also the deep dish pizza...

Anyway.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X