Tim Hortons vs Starbucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good coffee for low prices.

Overpriced boutique coffee shops, regardless of owners.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Asher supporting generic corporate chains over excellent locally owned alternatives.

Choices for consumers
      Superior Quality mom & pop shops.
      I find most mom and pop shops aren't of superior quality. That's why they die out when the big chains come in.

But to each their own. I just drink the crap that comes out of the coffee pot at work. It's free.

Comment

I'm all about consumer choices. You may recall I even support allowing things like Super Walmart into communities who don't want them. Some people will want to shop at them while others will not. I don't want to shop at those stores most of the time but I won't stop others from doing so. That said for my money I tend to buy local; there is a market for those items too and generally they thrive by offering choices that the large chains over look or think are to complicated to easily mass produce. In the end consumers are better off having both the chains and the locally owned places as they end up having more choices. That's how capitalism is supposed to work.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Coffee

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm all about consumer choices. You may recall I even support allowing things like Super Walmart into communities who don't want them. Some people will want to shop at them while others will not. I don't want to shop at those stores most of the time but I won't stop others from doing so. That said for my money I tend to buy local; there is a market for those items too and generally they thrive by offering choices that the large chains over look or think are to complicated to easily mass produce. In the end consumers are better off having both the chains and the locally owned places as they end up having more choices. That's how capitalism is supposed to work.
            How can one man be so boring?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

I find most mom and pop shops aren't of superior quality. That's why they die out when the big chains come in.

But to each their own. I just drink the crap that comes out of the coffee pot at work. It's free.
              Are you kidding? There seem to be a ton of locally owned places in most of the big west coast cities. The chains do offer uniform quality, a recognizable brand, and often slightly lower prices. The quality is normally decent but not excellent (example: Starbucks' baked goods tend to be a day or two old since their shipped in from central locations plus they won't toast them for you) where as the local shops generally buy local so the goods are fresher and done in ways the chains won't do. Nearly all the innovation comes from the smaller guys (we're talking food preperation here) where as the large chains specialize in making those innovations standardized and reducing the costs.

There is room for both but a healthy market needs both or else things get out of wack. No chains and prices go up, all chains and little to no innovation occurs. Chains & locally owned shops equals the happy middle ground.

Comment

Timmy's. I dont like coffee.

Comment

Since we're talking food preperation here please anwser this. Think of your favorite restaurant. Is it a chain like McDonalds or is it a smaller place? I find most food chains tend to be a bit generic and dumbed down to the least common denominator where as the smaller places are were you find real chiefs making great food.

The same goes for coffee. Yeah, you can pull into a Starbucks or Tim Hortons once in a while in a strange town and know that you'll get good coffee but once you find the best local spots then you'll know where to get great coffee.

Comment

Oerdin, can it. This thread is for fun, you and your political BS are getting on my bad side, you Canadian-murdering friendly-fire supporting homeless-****ting on American, you.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

How can one man be so boring?
                      You are trumpeting generic corporate shops and I'm the boring one? Never mind. I rest my case.

Comment

Your indy-rocking indy-store pseudo-intellectual jack-of-all-trades ford-rules schtick gets old, is all.

Comment

Since we're talking food preperation here please anwser this. Think of your favorite restaurant. Is it a chain like McDonalds or is it a smaller place? I find most food chains tend to be a bit generic and dumbed down to the least common denominator where as the smaller places are were you find real chiefs making great food.

The same goes for coffee. Yeah, you can pull into a Starbucks or Tim Hortons once in a while in a strange town and know that you'll get good coffee but once you find the best local spots then you'll know where to get great coffee.
                          I'll agree with most restaurants, but not pizza. The small pizza shops tend to be the cheap ones that use cheap ingredients. The ones that sell a pizza for like $7 or $8.

I find this with chinese restaurants as well. We have one of those along with a generic pizza place in ever strip mall at every corner.

Comment

Many places wouldn't have a coffee shop without starbucks. In fact, many new coffee places have started up on starbucks coattails.

I know places that sell a large pizza for under $4.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              No, Second Cup is too pricey.
                              Pricey compared to Starbucks...sheesh, that must be pricey!
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                                Tim who?
                                We have one, totally at random, on the M25.

I prefer local coffeeshop >Costa > Starbucks > Café Nero in the UK. In Canada, its Second Cup > Tim Hortons (unless I want French Vanilla) > anything else
                                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                                X