Tim Hortons vs Starbucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    I presume the anti-debit stance is franchise-specific.
    American Tims aside, they have a company wide, national policy to only accept cash. They claim that debit would slow down the lines too much (which is bull****).

The airport Tims you mentioned is different because its in an airport. Airport versions of chains often are allowed to follow different rules.

But check it out, no normal Tims (in Canada) accepts debit.

Comment

• Anyone who thinks debit is as fast as (or faster) than cash is smoking crack.

The Timmies policy is evidence of this. With thousands upon thousands of stores I'm sure they have done the research.

If they were to accept debit the currently long lineups would become intolerable.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Yeah, I've been doing some research and some Tim Hortons out west (as in, Alberta and BC) do accept debit. Apparently the average order is more and so it warrants it.

Wezil - it depends on the type of connection you use. If its one of those slow dial-up ones, it would be slower. But compare that to ones such as in McDonalds or Walmart where they are almost instantaneous. A company like Tim Hortons could affford something like that.

I can't tell you how many times I've been willing to drop 8-10 bucks on a lunch combo, but since I didn't have $10 in change, I didn't get it. Most of the people I've met have similar stories.

You're right, though, maybe it would drive away some of the 75 cent coffee people, but I would be willing to bet that if they started taking debit, the average person would spend more there.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
          American Tims aside, they have a company wide, national policy to only accept cash. They claim that debit would slow down the lines too much (which is bull****).

The airport Tims you mentioned is different because its in an airport. Airport versions of chains often are allowed to follow different rules.

But check it out, no normal Tims (in Canada) accepts debit.
          It was near the airport in an industrial area, not in the airport itself.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• It's not just the connection. It is the moron pushing the buttons.

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

You're right, though, maybe it would drive away some of the 75 cent coffee people, but I would be willing to bet that if they started taking debit, the average person would spend more there.
            Their core customers. Not good to alienate your base.

Btw, a large goes for $1.39 ($1.44 in Toronto).
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X