Obama = cokehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramo

How, exactly, did he use his admission as a "means of self promotion?" It's pretty clear that if you actually read what he wrote (rather than taking one sentence all by its lonesome) that he's not proud of the act.
    I don't know perhaps in the glowing praise you just in this thread lauded upon him about his coming clean thus showing him to be the annoited and finally honest one.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

His decision to publish just by co-inky dink though happened prior to his run at the Presidency.
      No. It was published several years before. I bought it in 2004 after his convention speech.

You might be thinking of his new book, which isn't a memoir, but about policy.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

The memoir isn't about his struggle with drug addiction (I didn't even notice the admission when I read it), but about his search for his identity.

And of course Bush didn't write a memoir about his struggle with his coke habit. He doesn't have the balls to admit it. And I doubt that he's even capable of writing a book (without relying on ghost-writers).
        Nor did Bush have to. He had Daddy and the best campaigners on his team. No need to build up recognition for a politcal unknown. Afterall he had teh Bush name.

Not so for Obama. He needs to get airplay as he is an unknown. Fortunately he gets all teh right press coverage from the love sick media types. Good for him a likeable charsimatic unknown with no baggage and sense of decency and truthfulness plays well.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          That way they'll see that the majority of cokeheads don't become a success
          Coke is so expensive, I'll bet those who take it are richer than average.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I don't know
            Yep, you don't. The idea that he cynically put in a barely noticeable comment about using coke in a memoir that predated his electoral career to set up a run for the Presidency is absurd beyond mention.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

No. It was published several years before. I bought it in 2004 after his convention speech.

You might be thinking of his new book, which isn't a memoir, but about policy.
              I stand corrected Dreams of my Father was published in 1995.

It did however coincide with his first campaign for public office back in 96.

I doubt that his aspirations were at the national level back then though.

Again the entirety of this hullabaloo does nothing for my affinity or antipathy towards Obama.

Comment

What are we supposed to tell kids when a C-student and general failed businessman becomes a President that isn't ashamed to lie, censor NYT editorials with no classified information, and avoids responsibility for or even to admit mistakes, and tries to turn his slavishly faithful belief in his cause as some heavenly appointed "Decider" into a badge of honor?

How do you tell your kid to study in school, to be honest, and to not shirk responsibility?
                Jesus christ and general Jackson, I point out that im not rich or famous. Sons of the rich have not particulary needed to study hard for a very long time. Theres a reason its called "a gentleman's C". The Bushes didnt invent that.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yep, you don't. The idea that he cynically put in a barely noticeable comment about using coke in a memoir that predated his electoral career to set up a run for the Presidency is absurd beyond mention.
                  I simply comment on the reaction his devotees seem to have.

HE CAME CLEAN!!

OBAMA AHKBAR!!

Comment

How about the notion that Hilary, who has balanced liberalism and centrism since she reached national attention, is somehow cynically running to the center solely for the purpose of running for president in 2008, which is repeated so often its part of the background hum?
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I stand corrected Dreams of my Father was published in 1995.
                      Meaning that those two sentences were probably written earlier than '95. Which is pretty damn irrelevant anyways since the book mentions very little about his struggle with addiction and is mostly about the search for his identity. The idea that he used those sentences cynically as a political tool defies all connection to reality.
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Maybe they'll also learn what good odds are, when to make good gambles, not play the lottery, and become rational people who understand how science works and are less likely to be swayed by statistically improbable imaginary bearded men.
                        You think religious people are more likely to be cokeheads?

I dont get the impression that is the message Obama is spreading.

Comment

Meaning that those two sentences were probably written earlier than '95. Which is pretty damn irrelevant anyways since the book mentions very little about his struggle with addiction and is mostly about the search for his identity. The idea that he used those sentences cynically as a political tool defies all connection to reality.
                          I said I stood corrected. What part was confusing to you?

In any event, the time frame when he wrote the story is not as important as when he decided to allow it into the public sphere. Either way in 1995 it probably predated any national office (POTUS or VP) aspirations.

I still find it meh, but do find it amazing how teh converted see this as a good thing. I'm willing to take a bet that the Oprah or the like are simply going to gaga over his bravery for admitting such.

Comment

How about the notion that Hilary, who has balanced liberalism and centrism since she reached national attention, is somehow cynically running to the center solely for the purpose of running for president in 2008, which is repeated so often its part of the background hum?
                            Nearly every candidate panders. Run to their respective wing for the primaries and then run to the center for the general. Hillary's problem is that she thought that the nomination was hers for the taking and never bothered to run to the left. The most prominent example I can think of her pandering is her vote for the Flag Burning Amendment. Most of the pandering involves speeches rather than legislation. Not really in terms of flip-flopping towards various audiences, but talking about your conservative positions (i.e. condemning video game violence) more than your liberal positions.

But I do think that all of her running around is greatly exaggerated.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Brundlefly
                              Is there any substance to his candidacy? What does he stand for?
                              One thing that he supports, that Hillary voted against, is federal subsidies for ethanol. That could help him in Iowa. In all fairness, that vote probably had less to do with the Iowa primary than with Illinois politics.

Yet Hillary is called cynical, and Obama is a brave new voice.

Comment

FTR, I think that ethanol is an example in which Obama was pandering (i.e. he probably realizes it's bad policy, but that's what IL voters demand from him).
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X