Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arabic script on the side of busses makes Virginians wet their pants...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GePap

So is forgetting. People learn from mistakes, NOT, suffering. I would hardly tell an abused child that their pain was a "learning experience." The "lesson" of suffering is simply, don;t let it happen again.
    That is absolutely incorrect. Well its rude in the extreme to tell someone THEIR pain was a learning experience, its still true. Ive learned from pain, and I know of others close to me who have as well. Suffering tells you what it feels like to suffer, it makes possible empathy with others who suffer, it lets you know you can survive suffering, etc. Id rather go to therapy for say, depression with a therapist whos HAD it, (as well as being trained in good techniques, etc) cause there are things they will know that someone else will not.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• [QUOTE] Originally posted by GePap

"One is a victim only as long as they are being victimized. Once the victimizer is done, the only way to remain a victim is to self-identify as one, and then, well, you never stop being a victim."

Thats not the way the english language works, or an auto accident victim could never sue in court, since cars arent allowed in court houses. Only an ex-victim could sue in court, or one who is being voluntarily victimized. Its a nice therapy rhetorical flourish ("im not a victim any more") but its not really true.

"one does not "undo" damage. One rebuilds and strives for something better. "

youre quibbling over words. You know what I meant.

"YOu say "minimize the truth", cliging to the fiction of there being a "truth." There are the facts, how many died, how much was destroyed, how it was done. BUt those facts are just information. What 9/11 means, what it should mean to our lives is not a "truth", it is a choice people make. Making 9/11 the central narrative of our current times is a choice. NOt one I support."

Whether something is "the central narrative" is rhetoric. There are truths beyond facts.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• this is like i said before, " those with the least to fear, fear the most". i think its horse**** that people are afraid of terrorism and dying
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• this is like i said before, " those with the least to fear, fear the most". i think its horse**** that people are afraid of terrorism and dying
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• @ 9+ hour dp!

Comment

• stupid PDA!

Comment

• it was an important enough post it needed to be repeated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whoha

alright then, the fact that they moved to the above seating arrangement from their assigned seating arrangement isn't like the september 11th attack.
                  So now we're down to praying and two guys moving up to first class?

Yeah, they were asking for it.
                  "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                  "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                  "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

• yeah they were. praying is stupid.

Comment

• Since september 11, 2001 ~1500 people have been murdered in the city of Baltimore alone.
                      Odd that people can't display that level of relative thought when discussing Iraq casualties....
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Because that relative thought has absolutely nothing to do with deaths on your domestic soil ?
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap

9/11 was a criminal act. Those responsible are murderers, and need to be found and prosecuted. But the sad fact is that by keeping our victimization from 9.11 alive we keep their work alive. We remain afraid. That is the whole point of terrorism, to spread fear.

But there is a difference between remembering our losses on 9/11 with dignity and solemnity from that of what you described.

It certainly would not be nice to tell the Jews to get over the Holocaust for example, and forget that it ever happened.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• This is nothing. Our local Congressional representative, Virgil Goode is proposing that the INS deny muslims entry to the United States. Thing is this guy is a Democrat. He was the more liberal candidate in last months election.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• He's a Republican...
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

• Dr.S, methinks you need to pay more attention to your local politicians.
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X