Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arabic script on the side of busses makes Virginians wet their pants...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabic script on the side of busses makes Virginians wet their pants...

...when all it said was, "I'm a little tea pot."

Ads hope to dispel fears of Muslims

By KRISTEN GELINEAU, Associated Press Writer Wed Dec 20, 2:21 AM ET

RICHMOND, Va. - The small beige signs bearing swirling, black Arabic script appear all over town on buses and at colleges.

One panicked bus rider wondered if they were secret messages from terrorists. Should the
    FBI be contacted? What do they mean?

Actual translation: "Paper or plastic?"

The signs are part of a campaign by the Virginia Interfaith Center, aimed at dispelling some of the public's fears about the Muslim community. Organizers hope to eventually expand the program statewide.

"As soon as people see Arabic, they immediately make an association with terrorism," said the Rev. C. Douglas Smith, executive director of the interfaith center. "That's probably because since 9/11, not only is fear overwhelming us, but that's how we're being trained to think."

The signs were placed in all 170 Greater Richmond Transit Company buses on Nov. 27 and many buses will continue to display them at least through the end of January. The signs, designed by The Martin Agency, have also been posted at the University of Richmond and Virginia Commonwealth University.

Besides the "paper or plastic" sign, there are two others — one which is the Arabic version of the "I'm a little tea pot" rhyme and the other roughly translating to the English equivalent of "rock, paper, scissors." Accompanying the translations at the bottom of the posters are comments such as, "Misunderstanding can make anything scary," and "What did you think it said?"

The transit company has already fielded several calls from concerned riders, said Gretchen Schoel, executive director of A More Perfect Union, a project of the Virginia Interfaith Center that is spearheading the ads.

One woman Schoel described as a well-educated university employee placed a frantic call to the bus company's manager, suggesting the FBI be called in to investigate. Even after the signs' English translations were explained to her, she remained concerned that they might contain secret messages, Schoel said.

"It's so great that we're getting feedback, even if it is negative, because it shows that people are looking, they're thinking," Schoel said. "And it really proves the point that this script right here conjures up certain ideas in our heads that we have to work with."

Bias against the Muslim community is a continuing problem across the country, said Imad Damaj, president of the Virginia Muslim Coalition for Public Affairs.

"There's so many lazy, unexamined assumptions about all of us and how we react to people," Damaj said. "We need to challenge ourselves."

The ad push is one of the latest efforts to dispel stereotypes of Muslims and Arabic speakers. In 2004, the Council on American-Islamic Relations launched a nationwide TV and radio campaign, featuring Muslims from different backgrounds, each ending with the slogan, "I am an American Muslim."

Yet high-profile misunderstandings continue. In late November, six Muslim imams were removed from a flight to Phoenix after some airline passengers grew concerned. It was just the latest incident in which passengers who were Muslim or, in some cases, simply not Caucasian, were questioned before boarding flights.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said it processed more civil-rights and workplace discrimination complaints in 2005 than ever before. The total jumped to 1,972 in 2005 from 1,522 in 2004.

Schoel said history has proven that Americans can learn to let go of irrational fears toward other cultures.

"After World War II, when people saw Japanese script it was scary," she said. "But now we see it and it's fun, it's hip, it signifies a cool culture."

"That's a huge turnaround."
    You know, if the Virginia Interfaith Center really wanted to make people look stupid, they'd quote Bible verses or the US Constitution instead.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

over here whenever I see words that I can't understand I automatically think of food.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Why are Americans such ****ing paranoiacs?

I really do see a lot more xenophobia here than back home.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You can thank the Fearmonger in Chief.

What do these idiots think it says, "This bus marked for demolition?"
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          Why are Americans such ****ing paranoiacs?

Because terrorists fly planes through buildings?
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

And Christians bomb clinics, what's your point?

Comment

Wahhhh wahhhh wahhh.

That was 5 years ago. What have they done for me lately?

Some murderous bastards fly a plane into a building and the entire US develops a national case of ballslessness. Suddenly anybody who looks like an Arab is out to get you. Arabic messages on the sides of buses are terrorist code.

Grow some ****ing cojones and live in the real world. That's the place where you can't be protected from every little danger out there.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Since september 11, 2001 ~1500 people have been murdered in the city of Baltimore alone.

But yeah, I'm going to drop a deuce in my pants because I see some terr'rist writin' on the side of a bus.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

But there could be secret messages in the script! For all we know, it could be a recipe for biscuits.*

*Does anyone recognize the line?

Comment

Arabic script on the side of busses makes Virginians wet their pants...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who read this as "Arabic scrip on the side of busses make Virgins wet their pants..."

As for the topic: politics of fear will only lead to panic, no real surprise there, now is there.
                    Last edited by alva; December 21, 2006, 06:23.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I believe you mean "Virgins" and yes, I considered posting it that way instead, but decided against it...

Comment

Meh, you were just scared to admit it.

You're a guy...ergo, you're a pervert. Nothing to be ashamed about, all normal dude.
                        [size](just try to keep it up under control )[/size=1]

Oh, and using 'blink'.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

OK, I read that too... Now I have reasons to be concerned
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Arab men are coming for our women... and that's just fine with the ladies. Virginia is for lovers, after all.

Of course, that doesn't leave any Arab men for me. Oh well, guess I'll just have to stick with white meat bread.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Since september 11, 2001 ~1500 people have been murdered in the city of Baltimore alone.
                              What is it with Yanks and their murder rates anyway? Osama could sit back and just watch them kill one another.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X