Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have what it takes to become a citizen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main reason is simple, overcrowded countries who saw war as the best way to keep their population down, not to mention 90% of the countries lived in poverty.

Comment

Um, atawa, the pilgrims were the original founders of the colony in Massachusetts. Not immigrants in the 19th century.

Comment

I think the INS form question should be dropped though.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

95%
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

85% not bad for a Canadian that doesn't care. I'm still shocked I got the original 13 states right but once I eliminated the answers that has 'New Zealand" and "washingtonDC" I had a 50/50 chance
            and the other one had Ohio in it. Easy elimination.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              I'm not bothered so much that the non-US Citizens on this board scored so well on the test, but by the knowledge that were Americans to take the tests of other countries, most would probably fail.

I can't speak for all, of course, but I know that I would only be able to answer similar questions for a handful of foreign countries.
              I would. What do I care how the goverments of other countries are set up? I know a little bit about England's goverment. But germany and france?

And to be politically correct. We should also know the goverment set up of Ethiopis (or lack thereof )

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                I would. What do I care how the goverments of other countries are set up? I know a little bit about England's goverment. But germany and france?
                Well, some of the things in Germany and France have had as much impact as some US political arrangements.
                I'm thinking of the Déclaration des Droits de l'Homme et du Citoyen of revolutionary France, which shaped the debate about human rights pretty much everywhere outside the Anglosphere, at least until 1948.
                Germany also offers a fine example of a country that did everything to avoid going back to despotism. Quite interesting, at least for someone who's interested in politics.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I got 65%, without checking anything. I'm goooood.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The religious freedom part is sorta misleading too. "Religious freedom" doesn't mean just being able to practice your own religion. It means allowing everyone to practice their various religions... which wasn't always the case in the colonies.

Comment

95% INS form question ofcorse being the one I missed.

The Supream Court justice question was more current events then grade school trivia so it stuck out a bit, likewise the "official" aswer that Congress has the power to declare war is in all practical sense no-longer true and a forigner would be very likly to get this question wrong as they know that the latest war occured almost entirly because of our president.

I was kind of suprised their weren't any Civil War question or many history related questions. The slant was desidedly towards very trivia like questions which dont realy tell you anything about the country its history or its people.

Heres a tip for the 13 Colony question, If one is familiar with a map of the US all the coastal states on the Eastern Sea-board with the exclusion of Maine, Vermont (Territories not yet split off of other states) Florida (Controled by Spain) were original colonies. To answer the question just scan for an in-land states like Kentuky to eliminate thouse choices.
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I agree the Pilgrims were trying to establish a theocratic state ware only thier religion would be practiced. They were by our standards fundamentalist so the better answer to the question would be "Religious Practice" rather then Freedom. In most grade school education this is sugar coated and children are told the Pilgrams wanted Religius Freedom. Still none of the other answeres have anything to do with religion so its still rather obviusly the best answer if one is familiar with the real history of the Pilgrims.

In hindsight the Pilgrims fundementalism didn't succed their was the infamous Salem which hunt which broke down their self-rightiousness. Meanwhile the Quakers who actualy belived in and practiced Freedom of Religion settled in nearby Pensyvania and realy acted as the source of Americas idea of religious freedom. Most Americans are taught a mashed up history with the Pilgrams taking on the belifes of the Quakers probably because it makes a nicer story assoiated with the Thanksgiving holiday. I would hardly expect the makers of the test to be any less mis-informed then anyone else so the traditional myths get diseminated to new citizens just the same as the old.
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

75% here.

And I've never even been in the USA

Most of the questions are pretty easy. Even in Europe we know the symbolism of the US flag, and date of indepence. Many were possible by elimination, like the question of the original 13 states.

The ones I had wrong were:
                          - Which right was guarenteed by the First Amendment (like how am I supposed to know that? Although I do know the 2nd one (right to bear firearms)).
                          - What is the introduction to the Constitution called? (The answer that turned out to be correct seemed a bit too logical. I thought they were looking for a specific name, not a generic one.)
                          - Who said "Give me liberty or give me death".
                          - What INS form is used to apply to become a naturalized citizen? (What a ridicilous question!)
                          - Which of these contains three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights? (Had to gamble here between two answers, picked the wrong one.)

Anyway. Not bad for a dutchie. I bet Americans don't score as high on *our* test

Comment

90%. Missed the INS form one and something else silly, I forget what...

It continues to amaze me that this stuff is not a national requirement to graduate from US schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

ahh I missed that-- I would have realized that one but IIRC there were a couple other differences in the lists as well
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Actually on checking nope-- Ohio is in the same answer as New Zealand-- The tough one was between two answers where 12 of the states were identical except one had New Hampshire and the other Kentucky
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X