No announcement yet.

Xbox HD-DVD comes at a heavy price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Japanese newspaper Sankei has reported that the problems affect about 200 games sold for the original PlayStation and the PlayStation 2. Sony has declined to give numbers.

Games affected are believed to include Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

BBC? right.

Sankei Shimbun, the right wing, USA leaning partly American owned economic paper? I smell big MS money here.
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

more BBC news casting. A (paid?) Microsoft commercial: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6143500.stm

- Paul Valery

Comment

Gizmodo bursts the Sankei/MS bull**** bubble about Final Fantasy.

- Paul Valery

Comment

MS is paying off news organizations from around the world.
            You Sony fanboys are out to lunch -- sorry.

Oooo, so Gizmodo demos one FF game working so all FF games work...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Okay I found the Sankei article. And yes I must admit it seems to be correct. Sony has confirmed it.

So here we go. 200 games out of 16 000 have minor glitches. What is that...0,0125%?

- Paul Valery

Comment

As I understand it, the first Blu Ray discs weren't mastered very well, so Blu Ray got some negative videophile responses. This isn't an MPEG-2 v. VC-1 comparison. Some of the early DVDs (all MPEG-2) weren't mastered very well either. Sony is being punished for not putting enough care into its first Blu Ray productions.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                  Okay I found the Sankei article. And yes I must admit it seems to be correct. Sony has confirmed it.

So here we go. 200 games out of 16 000 have minor glitches. What is that...0,0125%?
                  spin spin spin...

They have the identical frickin' hardware as the PS2 in the PS3. Anything other than 100% is hilariously inept on behalf of their "glorious engineers".

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    As I understand it, the first Blu Ray discs weren't mastered very well, so Blu Ray got some negative videophile responses. This isn't an MPEG-2 v. VC-1 comparison. Some of the early DVDs (all MPEG-2) weren't mastered very well either. Sony is being punished for not putting enough care into its first Blu Ray productions.
                    It's not the mastering that was problematic, it was the MPEG2 use. VC-1 encoded Bluray look much, much better -- comparable to HD-DVD.

The reason Sony advocated use of MPEG2 is it's less space efficient. They wanted to show studios how much space you need (you NEED the extra space on Bluray!) by using a bloaty format. HD-DVD used a more advanced codec and it gave them better image quality with less space, so Sony is backpeddaling now.

Comment

Sony fanboys are funny. The delusions (BBC bought by Microsoft?!) are absolutely tin foil hat worthy!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oooh, a fanboy slapfest!
                        "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                        - Lone Star

Comment

Great to see you guys are having as much fun as I am.

Some people take these consoles all too seriously and keep making threads to OT forums about how "console X is now in BIG trouble" while their preferred console Z shines.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

spin spin spin...

They have the identical frickin' hardware as the PS2 in the PS3. Anything other than 100% is hilariously inept on behalf of their "glorious engineers".
                            Had a good lunch?

The PS3 hardware isnt identical to PS2.

I'm curious how many Xbox games work on Xbox360? 200? 250?

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Sony fanboys are funny. The delusions (BBC bought by Microsoft?!) are absolutely tin foil hat worthy!
                              Oh just look at BBC news, its anything but objective.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                                Had a good lunch?

The PS3 hardware isnt identical to PS2.
                                You see that chip on the PS3 motherboard called "EE+GS"? That is the PS2. That's where the PS2's graphics and sounds come from.

I'm curious how many Xbox games work on Xbox360? 200? 250?
                                All of the good ones certainly do.

The thing is, Microsoft basically has a technical marvel in how it pulled off its backwards compatibility. The 360 has to emulate the Xbox even though they are COMPLETELY different, down to the way the numbers are stored and the order of data. Sony was able to bundle the PS2 inside the PS3 and still can't get it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X